What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Osmocote for Utrics

I think some of you remember the pics of my U. livida making all those flowers and spreading so dang quickly in just 3 months. So, I thought that this was because of the little osmocote pellets in my peat, since I found some while potting up other plants. Today, when I was dividing it, I found a pellet right below the surface of the soil, under a large clump. Maybe the fertilizer helped, maybe it didn't. Though, this does show that osmocote CAN be successfully used with Utrics, especially if you want them to flower faster.

-Ben

I think I will try some with some of my experimental U.livida sp.2 and see what happens.
dewy

And I just so happen to have some spare U Livdia. heh heh heh
smile.gif

livida will go from a dime sized clump to filling a 4 inch pot and blooming like mad in 2 months on its own with no fertilizer. yah need to find an actual slow growing species for this experiment
smile_n_32.gif

Or use tow differnent similar sized clumps, on with Osmocote-one w/o(the control clump).

Cheers,

Joe

i dont know Joe, with livida, its such a fast grower anyways that its going to be hard to judge. not sure what would be a good one to try, maybe calycifida? since it gets good sized and is a medium grower, it might be easier to track.

Might be worth experimenting with with the larger species like reniformis. There was an article in Carniflora Australis about a guy that potted his in dirt. Yup. Dirt. He also kept it like a houseplant (not wet) and used an epiphite fertilizer on it. Says it flowered 3 times a year in his greenhouse. Utricularia don't have roots, so the absorption must happen through the bladders. I would like to see more experimentation like this, even if it isn't rigidly scientific with controls.

my reniformis is sprayed with a weak orchid fert every so often though i havent specifically targeted mine, it just gets some of the spray ment for the Neps and orchids. migh have to actually give it a couple good doses

Back