What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What determines the size of stalk/flower

2 of my VFT plants are flowering, 1 stalk is huge and the other is tiny. The larger one has about 13 bulbs and the latter has 5 bulbs. Why are their sizes so different? This won't affect seed gathering time right?

Oh ya pics..

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

Why are there black bulbs? Should I assume its normal? Gee I hope its normal.

I have a few VFT's that are doing the exact same thing. One has a big meaty stalk while the VFT next to it has a skinny stalk that can't even support itself and leans over on top of another plant.

I would assume it depends on how much food the plants had stored up when they started the stalk.

I gotta borrow Est's Translate-O-Bot.

What's it saying? OH! You mean flower buds. Say that next time so we know what you mean. The bulb most often refers to the rhizome of the plant that lives underground. As far as size, depends on age, health, environmental factors, and whether they like you or not. Trap size is the same. My 30 year old VFT sent up 2 1/2 inch traps at a time when Cindy Slezak, Membership co-ordinator for the ICPS, came to visit. Had the hardest time tying her lower jaw up so she could continue with an intelligent conversation. usually they just give 1 1/2 or 2 inch traps. Rarely 2 1/2. I did see one VFT 38 years ago in the Green Swamp that had traps 2 3/4 and 3 inch traps. VERY RARE to see that! Guess it was my lucky day. Too bad we didn't have GPS then. Never found that spot again.

Back