What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Current Bush Winner Copper

• Thread starter Glenn
  • Start date
Tasty black berries!

Winner pays shipping.

Bidding starts at $2.00

US only.

Glenn

$2

But can I get the Bush senior, the prior Bush, rather than the current one?

I just want to get rid of the Bush!
smile_n_32.gif

Not to be a kill-joy, but black currants are still banned in some places. Do you know the variety? People (like me) living in white pine territory need to plant black currant varieties which are resistant to white pine blister rust.

Can you grow it in a container? I have pine trees everywhere too, but I don't know what kind.

I do not know the variety. I have white pines growing on my property and have not had any problems with White Pine Blister Rust. However you are correct that some States have this on thier banned plant list. I will look it up and post it here for reference.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Glenn

White Pine Blister Rust on Currants and Gooseberries
HYG-3205-98
Michael A. Ellis
Leona Horst
Department of Plant Pathology
The Ohio State University

White pine blister rust is not a serious disease of currants and gooseberries; however, it is a very serious disease of white pines (Pinus strobus). Currants and gooseberries serve as an alternate host for the rust fungus that causes white pine blister rust. Therefore, planting currants and gooseberries in areas where white pines are present can lead to serious losses of white pines. North American white pine species, including bristlecone, limber, sugar, eastern white, southwestern white, western white, and whitebark, are highly susceptible. White pine blister rust causes significant damage in pine forests by forming cankers on the branches of white pines. These cankers ultimately kill the trees. Black currant is the most susceptible of the Ribes species.

To protect white pine forests, several states have enacted laws concerning planting of black currants.

RESTRICTIONS: State laws prohibit our shipping Currants or Gooseberries to Delaware, Maine, N. Carolina, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Vermont or West Virginia. Black Currants may not be sent to the states mentioned above, as well as Massachusetts, Montana, Ohio and Rhode Island.

Please be aware of these restrictions. Sorry if any of the bidders are in these states.

Glenn

USEFUL FACTS

POLLINATION: Self-pollinating,

PLANT SPACING: 4 feet apart.

SIZE AT MATURITY: 3-5 feet tall.

HARDINESS: USDA Zones 3-8

EXPOSURE: Sun or partial shade.

ORIGIN: Europe.

YEARS TO FIRST FRUIT: Two.

RIPENING: Late June, early July.

LIFE EXPECTANCY: 15 to 30 yrs.

METHOD OF PROPAGATION: Cuttings stuck in the ground in November.

YIELD: Bushes are almost covered with fruit. Up to 10 pounds per bush.

HOW TO GROW

SOIL REQUIREMENTS: pH of 5 to 7, prefers good garden loam but will tolerate heavy or sandy soils.

CULTURAL REQUIREMENTS: Mulch with manure or compost, apply nitrogen sparingly. Requires annual pruning of old canes. Fruit is born on new wood.

PRUNING: Renew black currants to new shoots. Some growers cut new plants to the ground to allow many new shoots to start or plant the bush deeper so main shoots start at ground level. Prune red and white currants like gooseberries. Prune annually to maintain large berry size. Cut out wood more than 3 years old.

HOW TO USE CURRANTS

IN THE LANDSCAPE: Use as a foundation planting, in containers, espaliers, in the perennial borders or in hedges.

IN THE KITCHEN: Red Currants are prized in jams, jellies and streudels. Black Currants, in juices, syrups, jellies and liqueurs. White Imperials are prized in used car lots.

Info From Raintree Nursery

The Consort variety of black currant is ~immune to WPBR and a few others are considered fairly resistant.  The fact that Glenn's white pines are healthy doesn't prove it's a resistant variety of black currant (the WPBR fungus might not be present), but it's a good sign.  The only threatened pines have needles in clusters of five and the disease is absolutely no threat to other species.

If someone had a bush that would kill a pin oak, I'd pay a fortune for that.

News Flash....

NEW SCURGE: Black Current Kills Pin Oaks across the US!

I got this from the Onion, a very reliable source.

I can't wait for the bids to come rolling in! LOL
smile_n_32.gif

Glenn

Bumping open auctions to the top as a reminder to the two members to either pay or ship the item.

Bumping open auctions to the top as a reminder to the two members to either pay or ship the item.

Bumping open auctions to the top as a reminder to the two members to either pay or ship the item. If Item has been shipped please post the date shipped.

Bumping open auctions to the top as a reminder to the two members to either pay or ship the item. If Item has been shipped please post the date shipped.

Has this item been paid for, shipped and received?

Please let us know what the status is on this item.

Back