What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zone 6 and below growers

Whsat do you growers leaves outdorrs in Zones 6 and below? I am thinking about some Sarracenia her in KY. and some D. intermedia. Anyone do any others that do well? Thanks.

Frank

Zone 6 here as well. You can grow Sarracenia purpurea ssp. purpurea, Drosera intermedia, D. anglica, D. linearis, D. rotundifolia, D. Drosera filiformis ssp. filiformis, D. x obovata, D. x anglica, Pinguicula vulgaris, P. grandiflora, P. macroceras, P. longifolia, P. villosa, Also there are some Utricularia like U. purpurea and U. subulata(depending on where its from).

I am a cross between 6 & 7, but am closest to six(right on the border of 7). I have S. 'Dixie Lace' S. x Catsbei S. Purpurea ssp. Venosa, and a VFT out right now. I had a S. Oreophila but it got washed away by a heavy rain. It was happy up until then.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Wesley @ July 03 2006,4:59)]I am a cross between 6 & 7, but am closest to six(right on the border of 7). I have S. 'Dixie Lace' S. x Catsbei S. Purpurea ssp. Venosa, and a VFT out right now. I had a S. Oreophila but it got washed away by a heavy rain. It was happy up until then.
Wesley, have you been taking lessons from Jimscott??
smile_n_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Wish I could leave my plants out during the winter. I'm zone 5 and winters get just a tad too cold to leave plants out.

I know know... that darned stream he's always putting stuff next to. LOL

I was a VERY small plant and just didn't get the chance to establish. If I had know it had been washed out I'da saved it before it dried up. I was sad to say the least.

One of the experts on this topic would be mabudon. From him I've learned to push the limits of what can be grown outside. We both live in Canada, in 5a. He has grown many varietes of Sarracenia as well as the more hardy drosera (intermedia, filliformis). He may have done VFT's and I'm certain there is more. I'll wait for him to find this topic or you can send him a PM.

Zac

That doesn't surprise me. I think people need to push the limits with these plants a lot more. They are more resiliant that people might think. Once they're in the ground and established, they're almost unkillable.

Hey Doc!
i live in kentucky too! louisville in fact. this is going to be my first winter to put plants through dormancy so wish me luck! im keeping S. Dixie Lace and VFTs out this winter but my S. flava is staying in the fridge.
Good luck with yours!
Alex

I live in Zone 5/6 and I grow mine in my garage in the winter near a window... like 3 hours of direct light at the most. They grow fine, I want to build a Bog in a wheel barrel with my sarr's and VFT's

I like the wheel barrel idea. Let me know how that gows and better yet, post pics of it when you finish. It would be pretty fun being able to just wheel your plants around if you got tired of where they were. ... great idea...

~Wes~

I agree with Wes, that is a good idea. It would also make it easier to move them into the garage for the winter or into a spot where they get more direct sun. Maybe convert a ½ whiskey barrel into a wheel barrow planter.

You could get one of those cheap plastic wheel barrels also. I don't remember how much they are, but it's not a lot. I don't think you'd need anything heavy duty just so long as it supports the weight of the water and moss.

Wait until Wild Bill sees this and links to photos of his CT overwintering system.  It seems capable of dealing with anything.

I also grow Sarrs in CT but just keep them with their pots buried in the ground beneath a pile of leaves under a lean-to.  There was some trouble this winter because it was so dry in late winter-early spring and a couple plants without good ground contact got parched.  It's still touch-and-go for my little S. jonesii.

Back