What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

leaf cuttings?

glider14

Always a newbie
take a look at this!
S. Rosea!

Does this show that Sarracenia can be propagated by leaf cuttings? or is it just roots from a treatment of dip-and-grow?
Alex

Sarracenia are easily propogates by leaf cutting. They're actually quite extrordinary at it. I had a year old stub of a leaf connected to a rhizome with no green on it actively growing and creating roots, a little more time on the rhizome and I can pluck that sucker off and have a new plant.

but will a leaf root and bud if plucked off and put in somthing lik lfs?
Alex

That's what I said alright! It's that simple. Just pull a leaf, get a little bit of white rhizome of with it (doesn't need to be much) and you're golden.

It's pretty much the same idea as propagating most stem- or rhizome-growing plants (Pings, VFTs, stemmed succulents, Philodendron all come to mind...) Like so. Still, I don't see much about this with Sarrs. I think I've heard of it happening, but never saw a picture. It's nice of you to share. I'll have to start experimenting with my pulled leaves...
~Joe

thanks guys. im going to try it out on my S. flava and see how it turns out.
Alex

The process can be slow though. I have a lump of S. minor rhizome with old leaves on. Most of the old growth has now died, but it has managed to grow a new phyllodia over the last couple of weeks. I uprooted it to have a nosey, but there is no sign of any roots. It has been rootless for 6 months now, but is alive and capable of growing upwards, but not downwards yet it seems!

Didn't Barry Rice write a CPN article on this (Sarracenia leaf-pullings)? IIRC - for unknown reason, some species tend to work better than others...

yes, barry rice did write an article for CPN... it was in the December 2004 issue. If I'm not mistaken he only got them from psittacina and purpurea but there could've been others I can't remember.

actually I just dug out the article and the photo you posted is the same photo used in the article.

I've got some leaf cuttings that've been going fro just a couple of months, I'll check if you can see the original leaf cutting and I'll snap some pictures if I indeed can. I'll make some more leaf pullings in the future and I can post the results with pictures as there seems to be a lack of pics.

All of my older leaf pullings are mostly too far along. I decided to take a few more. If they take, I'll take some pictures of the forming roots and subsequent growth. Here they are as of today:

SarraPullings.jpg

SarraPullingsPot.jpg

I've had good success with two of the species shown, but with the third (S. rubra...) I've had not experience with in this regard.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glider14 @ July 18 2006,10:57)]take a look at this!
S. Rosea!

Does this show that Sarracenia can be propagated by leaf cuttings? or is it just roots from a treatment of dip-and-grow?
Alex
Is that the same thing as SuperThrive? Can a dash of ST be helpful in this endeavor? I might try this with the purps, Dana's Delight, and flava I have.

How quickly do these grow to maturity?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Is that the same thing as SuperThrive? Can a dash of ST be helpful in this endeavor? I might try this with the purps, Dana's Delight, and flava I have.

I've had good success with purp hybrids. I'm sure you can get those rooted. My pref. for media is pure peat, though sphagnum seems to work almost as well (I like peat holding things in place a bit more.)
--Additon: A bit of superthrive could help, but I don't find that it's neccessary.--

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]How quickly do these grow to maturity?

Depends. What size leaf you take (because that generally affects how much white rhizome material you end up with,) and type of cutting hold quite a baring. You can pull a lead (getting white material with it,) you can get a leaf with some roots, or you can actually take a chunk of rhizome. In my experience, after recovery (a few funny leaves) they work on increasing pitcher size as usual. Much faster than growing from seed, I'd say!

Here's a thought: when dormancy arrives, can't one just sever the rhyzome at the various growth points and have a few new plants for the following season?

yes...but then you wont have the right to say i got leaf cuttings from a Sarracenia! haha.
smile_n_32.gif

Alex

Back