What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Borneo or bust

Hi,

I'm thinking of making a pilgrimage to Borneo next year. Can anyone offer advice on the best places to trek to see Neps. Also any advice on guides, places to stay etc would be appreciated.

Cheers

Simon

Kinabalu National Park, naturally
smile.gif

Hey Simon,

Talk to Borneo (Rob Cantley ... Did I spell his last name right?)! He runs a nep shop over there (borneo exotics).

[b said:
Quote[/b] (schloaty @ July 20 2006,8:17)]Hey Simon,

Talk to Borneo (Rob Cantley ... Did I spell his last name right?)! He runs a nep shop over there (borneo exotics).
Dave, you may not know this but Simon (owner of Treesmill Tropicals) and Rob (in Sri Lanka, remember!) are good friends, in and out of the business! I'm sure he's picked Rob's brains over and over already! Correct me if I'm wrong Simon.

Personally I'd love nothing more than to go out there and climb the big K.

Cheers
Amori

Hi ,how long is your trip? Neps are everywhere in Borneo - common lowland are easily found along the roadside ( gracilis, mirabilis,green and spotted ampullaria, raff to some extent).

To see lowland,intermediate and highland . In Sarawak- Bako national park, Gunung Murud, Mulu National Park. Sabah - Mesilau Nature Park and Kinabalu National Park( cool temperate weather 12°C - 17I° C ). If time is too short skip Kinabalu. Mesilau offer the best chance to see Rajah, burbidgea, edwardsiana,etc ( if u are lucky-ask the guard-NOT GUIDE )
smile.gif
. From Mesilau the trek up to 9000ft-10,000ft will connect the Kinabalu main trail to the summit,you will see Villosa here-the GUIDE will tell you,but tell him/her your main interest.

Guide in Sarawak- there are many travel agent.check with their web site and tell them your purpose and get a guide who know neps.Usually they are trained to serve the purpose- to see bird or wild life or neps or native culture or all
smile.gif

Guide are also available within the park itself.

Robert

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Dave, you may not know this but Simon (owner of Treesmill Tropicals) and Rob (in Sri Lanka, remember!) are good friends, in and out of the business! I'm sure he's picked Rob's brains over and over already!

I did not know this. I will file that one away in the mental rolodex...
smile_m_32.gif

I was wondering if it was that Simon, but I thought, "Nah!"
Are you the same Simon that Slack mentions as using a compact type of live sphagnum for growing all your Neps in? I have the darn book and wuld look it up, but have never found the box that has it since I moved to this house(several years ago) lol.

Cheers,

Joe

smile_l_32.gif

Back