What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera rotundifolia

My Fiancée who is in her 3rd year of study to become a Naturopathic Doctor was studying for a botanical medicine exam and thought I would be interested to see some of her class notes for Drosera rotundifolia. Thought I would share some of them with you:

Part used: Entire plant but especially aerial portions

Constituents:
Glycosides (napthoquinone, pumbagin, hydroplumbagin, rossilisside)
Essential oils
Flavonoids

Action:
Expectorant
Sedative (cough)
Anti -spasmodic
Anti-tussive
Spasmolytic

Indications:Reparatory System:
Dry irritating, persistent cough (spasmodic,explosive, expulsive) patient is often horse and children are often anxious
Cough associated with measles (or measles sequelae), whooping cough (pertusssis), TB(phthisis), chronic bronchitis, bronchial spasm and constriction....
Cardiovascular System:
arteriosclerosis and other vessel tone changes - spasm and constriction
Angina/chest pain: improves arterial vascular spasm

Pharmacology:
heart rate and vessel elasticity
Spasm and constriction in blood vessels to blood flow
Gylycosides (specifically plumbagin) appears to work on some microbes involved in periodontal disease ( i.e peridontitis) and dental caries: may also have some anti microbial effect in reparatory system

Cautions:
High doses darken urine (over long period of use)

There is more but that seemed to be the most interesting portion of it, apparently in TCM, Drosera burmanni is used and Drosera rotundifolia is also used in homeopathy.

If any one is wondering what is a Naturopathic Doctor, they are a licensed ( in most of the USA and Canada except for Quebec) primary care practitioner.

Basically they go through much of the same training as a regular medical doctor (about 8 years of study). They learn the same in regards to identification and diagnose however for treatment they use natural and traditional methods to treat the cause ( nutrition,accupuncture, botanical medicine, traditional Chinese medicine, homeopathy....). Their focus is on treating the root cause in place of just bandaging the symptom, also they are not meant to replace the family doctor but to compliment them. For more info check out
http://www.naturopathicassoc.ca/ [/URL

If she's interested, Nepenthes fluid has been used to help PMS and eye problems.

theres probably many uses for these plants, but i just took the PSAT and don't feel like looking them up.

Back