What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sowing Cobra lily seeds

I'm just about ready to take the seeds out of the fridge to sow them and I was wondering what is the best use? Peat moss or anything else? This is just to get the seeds to germinate. I will transfer them later when they are bigger.

If it were me, I would be mixing sand and peat and have a top layer of live LFS.

I don't have live LFS. Will dried be ok.

A nice, solid aerator like lava rock or fired ceramic would help to promote drainage and keep the roots cool. If you can't find either of those, something more conventional like gravel or rough-grain perlite will help, but keep them well below the soil level as perlite will float in rain and exposed gravel will heat up in the sun. Dried LFS should be OK, but watch for fungus if you stratify in a stagnant-air environment (like a fridge or plastic bag.) Live LFS is pretty good at outgrowing seedling Darlingtonia anyways - makes a good nursery media but you have to keep an eye on the sphagnum just to make sure it doesn't smother the seeds.
~Joe

I start mine in a 50/50 peat and perlite mix. Next year I am going to try peat and sand.
I have tried using super sphag as a top dressing, but it woke up and over grew the babies.
Lois

So maybe the dried LFS would be a better idea, just so it gives the potential seedlings a head start.

Back