What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are you guys sci-fi buffs?

• Thread starter Clint
  • Start date

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
Do you guys like sci-fi? I feel like a TOTAL dork here, but I used to watch Lexx and Farscape like every week dude lol. Whatever happened to Sexy Lexxy?

If you're a dork like me, what's your favorite sci-fi?

Lol, can't believe i'm posting this. I'm such a nerd
jestera.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Dec. 05 2006,7:53)]I used to watch Lexx
So that's what's wrong with you. ;P
Seriously though, Lexx is like the tape from The Ring. Everyone I know who was a Lexx fan has gone on to have absolutely horrible things happen to them for the past six years or so.
Want to really dork out? I used to like Star Trek: Voyager. My favorite type of science fiction is cyberpunk, though, so in terms of things that are available in the US right now, my favorite series would have to be Ghost in the Shell. I also liked Firefly on the SciFi channel, but it was canceled a while back. Does Mystery Science Theater 3000 count as sci-fi?
~Joe

Lol, I LOVED Lexx! I wish it was still on....

DUDE! I forgot all about MST3K! I used to watch that ALL the time when I was a kid! I loved the commentary as they watched the movie! Dude I miss that!

Ever see the Petshop of Horrors anime?

I'm getting geeky about Battlestar Galactica the way I used to be geeky about Star Trek:TNG.

I never really watched Farscape but the makeup and puppetry looked gorgeous.

Sci-fi is all about the Dune series. Sure they never seem to have managed a competently made TV miniseries or movie- but I don't hold that against anyone. The books are absolutely brilliant, so much so tha I can't blame them for never making a worthwhile production out of it. In some ways, it seems like it'd be best suited for an animated production... Anyone else read the Dune books?

Star Trek was always fun. And MST 3K was hilarious most of the time.

Sci-fi > everything else.
wink.gif.gif

What was "spice" supposed to be? Food?

And did it come from the giant worms? Worm poop?

Hard to say much without giving any spoilers. The Spice (melange) is a geriatric substance from the planet Dune (AKA Arrakis, etc.) It's used by just about every faction in the series for a number of different reasons. It can be used as currency, or ingested. The results are extensive and varying on the user's physiology and how much is used.

Sand Trout, the haploid forms of sand worms encompass free water. Long story short, they form a barrier, the water instide gets changed, there's an explosion, and spice (as well as some other substances) are produced. Not poop.

Ohhh.. ok thanks. Basically Ginseng lmao!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Do you guys like sci-fi?

Definitely; I read it, watch it, and write it, and I'm always on the lookout for interesting new concepts and books/movies/series.

Mokele

I love Mystery Science Theater 3000! I remember when I was a kid and the SciFi channel was just starting up they had this crazy promotional screen that just scrolled through all this random stuff and looked like the view from a space shuttle and spirals and stuff. It was counting down until Thanksgiving and then they showed a week or so of MST3K! That was my first experience with MST3K and I was hooked.

I also love reading SciFi books. I love reading about futuristic technologies that end of becoming reality. One of my favorite SciFi books is "Red Mars" which is about colonizing Mars and everything that is talked about in the book is completely plausible.

To infinity and beyond!

xvart.

I too am a sci-fi junkie. No cable so no real TV shows but my library is fairly extensive (though I have dropped off large boxes at used book stores on numerous occasions.)

Some of my favorite authors:

Card
Brin
Hamilton
Stableford
Bear

JLAP asked
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Ever see the Petshop of Horrors anime?

I have indeed. Very entertaining though somewhat disturbing.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (seedjar @ Dec. 05 2006,11:40)]

Want to really dork out? I used to like Star Trek: Voyager.
Hell's yeah! Voyager! Used ta watch the original series alot when I was a kid too, as well as Dr. Who.
The Aliens movies are my favorite as is 2001, but I like alotta old stuff too like Forbidden Planet, Them, Earth vs. the Flying Saucers.... I've loved Godzilla throughout his career, Godjira w/ subtitles is the best one.
But I just gotta say: Star Wars and Star Trek are both Awesome! Stop the Hate!!!

Lol, i'm too much of an idie buff to like Godzilla lol. , but the Alien movies are some of the best.. alien movies!

Yeah, those Aliens are the coolest.... uh, Aliens
haha
What's idie?

Oh sorry lol. Indie.

I like independant films. You know the ones you hardly ever hear about. I watch IFC a lot lol.

Y tu Mama Tambien and Velvet Goldmine are two of my faves. Party Monster too, if you can consider it independant. I think it was just REALLY unpopular lol.

Friend Green Tomatoes, while not indie, is still the best movie ever made IMO.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Est @ Dec. 05 2006,12:45)]Sci-fi is all about the Dune series.... The books are absolutely brilliant....In some ways, it seems like it'd be best suited for an animated production...  Anyone else read the Dune books?
Dune is an awesome creation. I am waiting to see a GREAT production of it someday. But, nothing will be as good as the books and what they help your imagination see.

I read all kinds of sci-fi all of the time. I, too, fear that I may be a big nerd, but at least I have good company  
oh.gif

Get this - my 4 year old son LOVES Godzilla. He has seen about 13 different ones and he knows all the monsters names! He gets so mad when I come home with a new one from the video store and he has already seen it.... My 7 year old daughter HAS to watch Dr Who every Friday now....
My God, what have I done??? they are nerds before they could even choose!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CP30 @ Dec. 14 2006,9:44)]Get this - my 4 year old son LOVES Godzilla. He has seen about 13 different ones and he knows all the monsters names! He gets so mad when I come home with a new one from the video store and he has already seen it.... My 7 year old daughter HAS to watch Dr Who every Friday now....
My God, what have I done??? they are nerds before they could even choose!
That is Totally Awesome!!

As for Dune, I loved the book, never got into the series (read mostly Kafka and the like for stories, CP's, Dinosaurs & War history for non-fiction)
I do hafta say the movie had Gieger art, Lynch direction and Sting when he was cool.

I grew up watching the reruns of the original Star Trek series and then followed all the others. And of course I've seen all of the movies and Star Wars as well.

Woah, someone else who likes both Star Trek AND Star Wars?!!
AWESOME!!!

Back