What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mount falling apart..

I knew this would happen one of these days, the stick that my brassavola is mounted on is falling apart. It seems the only solid piece was the top few inches, which broke off while watering today.

image2.jpg

After poking around alittle to find a semi-solid spot I put a new hanger on. With how easy it was to push this through, I think it will be a temporary solution.

image21.jpg

She is now hanging in the window again but for how long...

image15-1.jpg

image23.jpg

I will most likely run an old metal coat hanger, bent straight, from top to bottom, and let the root mass hold itself together. What would you do/have done when one of your mounted plants falls apart?

Chris

If there's a side that's predominantly roots, you might try finding a large piece of cork or bark to stick it to. There are special nontoxic epoxys that are designed for mounting orchids and such. Maybe consider tying it down, as well. It might be worth your time to look for something non-organic to use for a mount... rockwool comes to mind but the pores are probably too small for a mature orchid to anchor to. The upside would be that the new mount wouldn't decay like a wooden one.
~Joe

I would devide the plant down just a bit and remount it to cork or a slab of ebiweb. Ebiweb is new and it is a synthetic treefern. It is one of those epoxi designed for orchids that seedjar was talking about. But knowing me I haven't had something on a mount long enough for the mount to fall apart. So I would go back to cork or other branch.

If you don't mind paying shipping I have some juniper branches I recieved from a friend for mounting orchids on. I might have a big enough one for a good sized chunk of that braslavola you could remount to. Other than that remount it to another piece of hardwood or cork. Heck you could even to a slat basket big enough for it.

When it reaches a certain size, which yours has, it might no longer need to be on anything. And you can hang it exactly as you suggested. It's best if you can maintain some humidity.

Back