What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have 2 (possibly 3) terrestrial utrics, those being U. lateriflora, U. livida, and U. longifolia (POSSIBLY). Now my problem is that they're ugly! The leaves are all spaced out from each other and I feel that I've had them long enough (6+ months) that the whole pot should be green by now. I am suspicious that it is due to my watering habits, that being that I water them from the top since they're in undrained containers and I uber flood them when I do.

Now the lateriflora and longifolia are in the the same container but they got attacked by a dog, not once, but twice and after the second time there was like NOTHING LEFT of either of them so it's a miracle that either of them managed to come back and I'm not even sure that the longifolia is still alive. They were even starting to flower when the damn dog ate em too! At least they're recovering now... Anyways, the livida was left untouched so that's why I'm wondering about why it looks so bad. It's in a terrarium like I said in an undrained container in peat and sand I believe. So does anyone know what the deal is? Could it be that it's because they haven't been feeding? I never introduced daphnia to it because I have no source of them so they may not be eating. It was also flowering like crazy a little while ago.

Ahh.. I apologize for the random layout of this topic (and many others) since I tend to just say things as they come to my mind so..yeah sorry..

Hi,

I think the best thing is to go to watering by tray. That works fine with me. Also, i don't know how long the plants were in there pots before you bought them, but some utrics have the habit of growing badly after some time until you give them a fresh pot.

Marcel

Ps: Oh yes, and shoot the dog:-D

i use indrained tupperware containers. i have the plant a little below the rim so i can flood them. they like it so far :)
Alex

Yeah my lateriflora is in a tupperware container , it's actually recovering well now but my livida is just plain UGLY.

Marcel, I got them as a clump and I potted them myself so I don't think it's been too long but repotting IS tempting....lemme check and see when I got them......damn I didn't record the date for them. I think it was...actually no it HAS been a while... the lateriflora should be okay since I repotted it twice when the idiot dog attacked it but maybe I should try to repot the livida.

Thanks for the replies!

Back