What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Daffodils sprouting early. Help!

joossa

Aklys
I bought a couple of “Colossal Daffodil” bulbs back in October. The booklet that came with them mentioned to plant them in early November so that the bulbs could start developing their root systems and begin sprouting in early-mid Spring.
So, I did what the booklet mentioned: I planted them 6-7 inches deep in a fertilized potting mix that contained a bit of perlite to aid drainage. I planted them next to the walkway in front of my home that leads to the entrance. The area itself faces east and receives plentiful morning sun.

While I was on my way to my car outside my house, I noticed little green “bumps” in the soil. I took a closer look and noticed that the daffodils were starting to grow. The little “leaf bumbs” had just barely broken the soil and were about 1cm above ground level. Is this normal? The book said that they would sprout in mid-spring. I am worried that the cold over night temperatures might kill them… What do you suggest I do?

Thanks!

We already have foot tall plants and some flowers here lol

Thanks, global warming!

I'm surprised because you live in CA and we live in GA. I guess it's because ours have been planted for years and yours are new.

They should make red ones :)

What temp do you consider "cold"?

Our overnight temperatures are in the low to mid 20’s. Daytime highs do not get higher than 65.

same here daff's, irises, and colombine all starting to grow. you should put some leaves around the base of plants to protect them from the cold or you could just put a plastic sheet or simalar over them every night and take off dureing the day.

yeah up here in Mich we had a really light winter (between 40 and 50 degrees) untill now (about 7 degrees and it's trying to hit the record low tomorrow) I have a few tulips in my garden that I think are going to die (they are already about an 2" out of the ground) =/

Occasionally, the Holland bulb plants spring up early when there is a winter warm spell. But they are adapted to the ebb and flow of temps and will stop growth again when it cools down. They'll be just fine. No need to worry. Could be worse... you could be where I am and the high being only 7 F.:0o:

Just a bit of an update: The daffodils are doing great. The ones that sprouted first are now about 5-6 inches high, and the rest have started to grow. The temperatures are now in the high 30’s overnight, and the plants do not appear to show signs of damage from the cold. Hopefully it will get warmer once the flowers bloom.

daffs are completely frost hardy in leaf or bud. I have some species that start coming up in November and grow right through the winter, flowering in late spring. hard freezes don't bother them at all.

I've had daffodils pushing up for a couple of months now. They are now about 5-6" tall even though we are still having (and will continue to have) cold weather fluctuating with some warm days. I think its pretty chilly outside now but by this afternoon it will probably be in the high 50s or low 60s. As long as the buds don't come out yet. Once the buds are out, a hard freeze will damage them.

All the daffs are just starting to flower here, about 4 weeks early.

The second warmest winter on record and just 2 hours of lying snow all season :-(

Another update… 3 flowers are now in full bloom and several others are on the way! They look fantastic.

The booklet that came with the bulbs says to cut off the flowers after they start to dry and die in order to avoid seed forming, which will eventually leave the bulb more energy for later. Do you guys agree with this? How long does a flower usually last? Also, if I should cut them off after they begin to die, should I cut the flower stem at its base or near the top (by the flower)??

Thanks for the help!

EDIT:
After some reluctant and lazy research, I have read that cutting the flowers is not completely necessary. It will increase the chance of having bigger blooms next year though...

Last edited:
Tomorrow I'll take some pics. I remember when we planted all of them. There's atleast a thousand lining the driveway.

In back of our cabin there's about 1500 'King Alfred' daffodils (we call them jonquils ) that we planted. Next time i'm up there and they are up i'll take pics.

here in bama i have daffodils outside and they are all in full bloom have been for about a month or so now and our azaleas are starting to sprout flowers too....the daffodils survived marble sized hail a few weeks ago, two tornados, flooding, temperature spikes and falls (it will be 75-80 degrees one day and freezing the next few days then back to 75-80 degrees) daffodils are tough little buggers!!!

:water: The daffodils are starting pop up once again... right on time! :)

Back