What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I think I found......

Yeah, I was looking through my backyard near my house and I saw some little red stalks coming out of the ground. I want to look and there were little pink and purple dotted flowers with only a lower skirt and they looked surprizingly like orchids. no leaves no roots, just a bulb like object and thin flowerstalks.

Sounds like Corallorhiza wisteriana.

If it is, it's a saprophyte and has a symbiotic relationship with mycorrhizal fungi.

that's exactly it!
yep, and I found litterally hundreds of them.

are they hard to cultivate?

Oh I dunno. I just did a quick google search to figure out what it was lol.

They have large corraline "roots" and depend on their fungi.

I'd leave them alone.

Darn!!! I hope that they "pollinate" (i'm not sure how orchids work) and then I can spread them deeper into my yard

They won't do anything if you scatter the seed in your yard unless the symbiotic fungi required for germination is already there.

really?
well that stinks!!!!
oh well, I guess that I have to find out a way to cultivate the fungus

Another thing that my dad actually found was a 'glow in the Dark' fungus, and we were actually able to spread it around our yard

Oh that sounds cool. I've never seen one.

I like fungi :) especially with some soy sauce :-O

On shiitaki mushrooms or that black fungus stuff that they put in Calamari Salad?
Both are REALLY REALLY GOOD!!!!!

I like all of them :)

Back