What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. adelae propagation through glass pot

finally found out how to post pics here:)
I know these like weeds for some people, but due to some recent posts I am putting up a almost failproof idea on how to propagate and grow them.
Here is a easy way to propagate D. adelae.
I just pot them in clear containers, using live sphagnum to let light into the container.
The plant grows MANY offspring from its roots due to the light coming in.
When you have as many as you want just pull up everything and seperate.
In the pots I have there are between 30-75 plantlets.
here are some pics
plantets
resizedmacrooffshoots2.jpg

resizedmacrooffshoots.jpg

top view of pot, they are small due to mother plant flowering and dieing off.
resizedadeleatop.jpg

macro, showing how red they can get, also a small meal in there
croppedadelealeaf.jpg

If anyone knows of other plants that would react growing this way please tell me.
Peace,
Zero

Last edited:
Mine does that anyway lol.

I know I know. They are easy.
But I figured some people might find this usefull.

Interesting.... I don't grow these myself but a friend of mine does and he gets tons of em outta the top of the pot. But the glass pot idea is really something!! I like how they're growing all around the side of the pot!
Think I might try this technique with one of my 'Big Easy's and see how that goes...
Thanks!

hmmm, now that you mention it, the Cp tank i once manage at a school had some D. adelae in it and i notice that there where these greens leaves growing up against the glass tank side, at the time i dident think anything of it, but now i know what they were! lol you learn something new everyday.

I like that a lot.... definitely draws your attention, hmmmm I think that Ive got a glass container somewhere that would be just perfect :)

simple and low maintenance, my favorite kind of setup

Cheers'
Av

Ahhh... the benefits of continuing to grow lance leaf sundews in their original Lowe's cube. When I got my first dew from Lowe's I didn't have anything to transplant it into, nor did I yet have the ingredients for any soil mixture so I just drilled a few holes in the bottom of the cube and stuck it into a pot of water. Now I am about to transplant them and there are a bunch just growing smashed up against the side exactly like that picture! I don't have near as many, though. Regardless, if anyone wants a common Lowe's lance leaf sundew let me know!

xvart.

I grow D x tokaiensis in a brandy snifter- it doesn't appear to do this, but some U.subulata that got in there (fancy that eh, U.subulata getting where you don't want it) is growing pretty well sub-surface..

Cool lookin thing- I will be getting some of this species soon and I'll for sure give this a shot just cos it looks cool and like Av said, EASY :D

mine did that while i grew it in the big section of a lowes cube.
Alex

mine did that while i grew it in the big section of a lowes cube.
Alex

I do that, too. I keep those tops and use them the same way I initially use the bottom part as described above. I'm sure you do the same. Why spend money when you already have "great" potting equipment?!

Although I'm sad because I just repotted my dormant Lowe's sarrs and vfts from their original containers. Now they are in a real pot...

xvart.

D. adelae - Hardier than I thought

I have some D. adelae that I put outside in a very cold frame complete with tears in the fabric that survived our freezes out here. It is protected but it got down to 26 degrees here for several nights in a row. I was surprised.

Stephen Davis
www.eaglesroost.net

Back