What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia purpurea growth

Ant

Your one and only pest!
I have a new Sarracenia purpurea and it is starting to grow new leafs, how long should it take for them to complete growth?

Last edited by a moderator:
Were they dorment and waking up or did you just get it and don't know?

I just got them so I don't know.

Pitchers usually take about 10 days to grow from start to finish.

Thanks

The pitcher is now only needs to fatten up a little more for the top to completly open. So when does red color appear?

Coloration depends a lot on the type of plant and the light that it's getting. Most plants (like Sarracenia) take lots of light to reach full coloration, but there are a few oddballs (particularly among the VFTs) that need specific types of light - bright indirect light, dappled shade, etc. - to bring out their true color characteristics. My Sarracenia purpurea tends to produce pitchers that take on a light red a few days after opening, and then the leaves slowly turn a deep purplish burgundy over the course of the next growing season.
~Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends on the plant and environmental factors. Generally the more light the more red they get. Dosing with peat tea might help.

That's a good point. There are several threads on acidifying the soil with teas to enhance red coloration - you should browse the Sarracenia and bog garden forums for them. A lot of people use peat tea, while some growers like Bugweed say the tannins from black tea are where it's at. I'm sure you can find a lot of discussion on this if you do a search.
~Joe

Here's some new leaves on my S. purpurea taken about two weeks ago. The largest leaf pictured here opened fully about 4-5 days ago and is starting to redden up - beginning with red veining on the inside of the hood. The red leaves behind it are left over old leaves. I trimmed off three or four old leaves. The biggest new leaf is at least 1/3rd larger the the largest old leaf (removed). Strange how the leaves start out red, then lighten to green then darken to red again.

070303-24.jpg

In May my plants are all pale and gradually colour up over the next 6 weeks.

In March, you'll need to be along way south to get much colouration going.

It's only been 9 days since your last pitcher. I don't have any at all and I live in Georgia and you live in Massachusetts so relax, take it easy and wait :)

I dunno if I've said this to you before, but put it outside as soon as is practical.

It would go dorment agian if it was put outside. It is 70 in or house so I beleive that is why it started to grow in the first place. Just wondering, how old does the division look?

Sorry, a closer look at it, it has one just starting to come of the still growing pitcher.

It will be fine. They don't shoot out all the leaves at once. Patience my friend. Once you are able to put it outside you should see a lot more growth.

xvart.

Well I am now confused because it now has 2 evenly size pitchers growing from it, is it dividing?

Sarracenia usually do not divide on their own. As they grow the rhizome grows more or less horizontally. New growth points and root systems tend to grow along the rhizome. If a portion with a growing point has a good root system you can cut or snap this portion off and what you have left are divisions of your original plant. Sometimes a portion of the rhizome between growth points might die or rot or be broken in some manner naturally.

Look carefully at the bases of the leaves and see how many growing points your plant has. The leaves will grow in clusters around the growing points.

Back