What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. aliciae propagation

I have a few questions regarding my D. aliciae. First, I was wondering what methods work best for propagating D. aliciae? Mine has not been growing very well lately, and I would like some extra plants in case in dies. Also, it is in a 3:1 peat:perlite mix. Does it need an airier mix in order to grow well? Does it like high or low light levels?
Btw, how is D. graminifolia propagated as I would like a few spare's to trade in the future?
Thanks,
Tyler

D. aliciae is like D. capensis and will return from the roots. so root cuttings, leaf cuttings and of course seed. i had 3 D. aliciae plants that withered because it went dry(vacation...woops!) they returned from the roots and now i have 5. its also a good clumper(have 3 more coming up from the base of plants :) )
Alex

Last edited by a moderator:
D. aliciae is like D. capensis and will return from the roots. so root cuttings, leaf cuttings and of course seed. i had 3 D. aliciae plants that withered because it went dry(vacation...woops!) they returned from the roots and now i have 5. its also a good clumper(have 3 more coming up from the base of plants :) )
Alex

That is what is odd, mine has not produced a single plant since I acquired it (over 6 months ago). I will have to try some root cuttings soon.
Thanks,
Tyler

What are your growing conditions?

What are your growing conditions?

About 75F during the day, 35-50% humidity, very good light and air circulation, 3:1 peat:perlite mix, and I keep the soil just moist. The light is not the problem, unless D. aliciae doesn't like strong light. Maybe it is the temperature or the humdity?
Thanks,
Tyler

Sounds fine to me. Try giving it the powered bloodworm treatment and see if it perks up. Other thoughts are to repot or even the extreme decapitation (cutting off the leaves).

How do the new leaves in the crown look? Are they green or dark brown/blackish? Review this thread in that regard.

I would say that D. aliciae does NOT like strong light. I grow mine in the corner of my indoor tank so that only a small portion of the lights actually hits the plant even though they are elevated close to the tubes. It seems to thrive there and has flowered for me several times. Your temp and humidity range sounds perfect.

Steve

Except for this winter, where it has been in a closet, under a fluorescent light, room temp, I have always had them at a window sill. It's my usual sand & peat, with LFS on top. Except for that occasional blackening crown phenomenon, it has always done well, producing plantlets. Actually, it reminds me of a less prolific version of D. spatulata.

my D. aliciae loves the light it is getting. 100w daylight CF and some from a second bulb. its very red and very dewy. ill get pics tomorrow
Alex

my D. aliciae loves the light it is getting. 100w daylight CF and some from a second bulb. its very red and very dewy. ill get pics tomorrow
Alex

Really? To be honest I have never experimented with this plant. As I said it seems to thrive where it is, and I lean towords the "If it aint broke, dont fix it" end of doing things. Maybe when I get the GH built I will start some experiments on this plant. MUUUAAAHHHHahahahahahaha!!

I had mine in a tank, maybe 3 inches from the lights. They loved it. I moved them to an east facing windowsill to make room for some B52s in the tank. They get maybe three hours of direct moring sunlight and bright reflected light (white building next door) during the afternoon. They seem just as happy there as the tank.

the leaves are more of a copperish color.
IMG_0633.jpg

IMG_0634.jpg

Alex

How do the new leaves in the crown look? Are they green or dark brown/blackish? Review this thread in that regard.

Sounds fine to me. Try giving it the powered bloodworm treatment and see if it perks up. Other thoughts are to repot or even the extreme decapitation (cutting off the leaves).

The leaves are green with a slight black color in the middle. I think I will try repotting and some root cuttings and see what happens. Here are a few pictures of the plant and the crown. Also, what is the weird looking thing sticking up on the right side of the crown?

P1050980.sized.jpg

P1050977.jpg

I'd wait until Joseph gets a look at these pictures before repotting or taking root cuttings. Looks to me like it needs more light.

I'd give it the powdered bloodworm treatment and move it closer to the lights.

Not a Number, sounds like he is onto the right plan. This species, Drosera aliciae, also seems to do its best in LFS and deep pots with high water levels. Some overhead watering helps when the humic acids begin to accumulate in the crown. They color and bloom well with very high light levels, their optimum cultural requirements are similar in most ways with Drosera capensis.

I will put it closer to the lights and see if that helps it some. I had it near my D. adelae, so it wasn’t getting very strong light. I will also try repotting it and see if I can get some root cuttings. Thanks for all of the help.
Tyler

Back