What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about coloring up my N. Sanguinea

VFT

Grad schooler
I have a N. Sanguinea that is growing quite nicely with one pitcher formed, one on the way and one new leaf. The environment it is living in is 50% humidity and it is getting indirect light from my 3x 40watt cool whites 4100k 80 cri and 3x 40 watt 6500k 80 cri bulbs.

My question is what causes the color on the pitchers or what can i do to help color up my pitchers? Or does it just take some time...(which i hope :)

Here is a pic of showing you what im talking about this pitcher has been open for about 3 weeks now

IMG]http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t157/Grizzlybear112/S4021011.jpg[/IMG]

2nd pic of the newest pitcher about to open it is larger than the first one

S4021012.jpg

Thanks

-eric

S4021011.jpg

heres the first pic that didnt work

Most pitchers get more colorful as time progresses. For example, my 'black dragon' doesn't turn dark until it is fully developed. My sanguinea also doesn't start getting reds in it until after the pitcher has opened.

You can see in the second picture how there is more color. It just takes time. You could also add more lights.

xvart.

it looks like your plant is young also. I grow this plant and until the pitchers started getting around 4" or so they looked mostly like the one in the picture. now that they are growing more "adult" pitchers they are more orange all over. I am beginning to wonder how much light has to do with it. While wandering around the botanical gardens I started to realize that a large majority of their neps - esp the highlanders - are very well colored, but really they aren't in very bright light.

I agree, CPsInAtl. I'm not sure how much light does have a factor, but I'm positive it has at least some effect. I think that it is mostly due to age of pitcher, age of plant, and to some degree, light.

xvart.

edit: It looks like you might have some rust fungus on a couple of your leaves. Do you know what those little red spots are?

Don't forget genetics!

you got a little Sanguinea orange if im not mistaken right? my little one gets a lot of light and it colors up only a little darker than yours.
Alex
IMG_0814.jpg

I think weather has a small part to play too. With the sanguinea here they arent as colorful cause our weather doesnt have the night time drop. They were more colorful when they arrived from BE. Sanguinea is very tough so its already a bonus that it survives the ultra lowland condition here. Adrianii isnt as colorful here as well. It colors up better in intermediate temps.

Most pitchers get more colorful as time progresses. For example, my 'black dragon' doesn't turn dark until it is fully developed. My sanguinea also doesn't start getting reds in it until after the pitcher has opened.

You can see in the second picture how there is more color. It just takes time. You could also add more lights.

xvart.

Any idea how long N. Sanguinea takes to grow that large? I ask because I just received one and I've never grown nepenthes before. :)

wow your in for a treat! the size increase is amazing on it CC!! ill get size comparisons on mine. the little pitcher in the right hand corner was the one it came with and the only one on it when it came in december. from december to now the pitchers have increased from 1.75(approx)inches to what you see with the one im holding. the new one(about to open...possibly tomorrow) is 4.25(approx)inches tall!! and that may be generous!!
Alex

I think weather has a small part to play too. With the sanguinea here they arent as colorful cause our weather doesnt have the night time drop. They were more colorful when they arrived from BE. Sanguinea is very tough so its already a bonus that it survives the ultra lowland condition here. Adrianii isnt as colorful here as well. It colors up better in intermediate temps.

Ohh could you elaborate? I just got an orange one and am apprehensive as my conditions are ultra lowland. Does it "survive" or "thrive"?

I have a much older sanguinea than that...looks to me like it has to do with age. Look at the first pic, the pitcher is mostly green. Look at gliders pic, and the pitchers are considerably more colorful. My plant lost the pitchers that were on it when I first got it, but it was even more orange than glider's

Ohh could you elaborate? I just got an orange one and am apprehensive as my conditions are ultra lowland. Does it "survive" or "thrive"?

No worries mate. Sanguinea is a tough bugger. The shipment came in from BE and I took mine and potted it up exposing it to full sun. It didnt even flinch. I lost some of the older pitchers but nothing more and it continued growing like nothing happened.

Keep in mind that BE grows it in intermediate conditions and my ultra lowland conditions are low 90s in the shade and warmer daily. Especially if its in the full sun, then the temperature shoots off much higher. The relative humidity here is 90% by night and 30% - 70% during the day. I didnt bother to bag it up to acclimatize it or try and slowly warm it up to my conditions by putting it in a shady spot first. I just threw it out in the sun on the first day and it grew. Don't try this with any other nep though. Sanguinea grows out in the sun in its natural conditions. I can't say the same if you try this on a northiana.... muahahahahahah!

More important for neps is air circulation. I've given many of my continuously pitchering rafflesianas and gracilis to some of my friends and the plants just stop pitchering. The difference in growing conditions is I leave mine outdoors while some of them grow theirs indoors or in areas with low amounts of air circulation. Some how the neps don't like the stagnant air.

Go figure, neps arent tillandsia...

Growth rate

wow your in for a treat! the size increase is amazing on it CC!! ill get size comparisons on mine. the little pitcher in the right hand corner was the one it came with and the only one on it when it came in december. from december to now the pitchers have increased from 1.75(approx)inches to what you see with the one im holding. the new one(about to open...possibly tomorrow) is 4.25(approx)inches tall!! and that may be generous!!
Alex

Wow. That's amazing! I just got mine. It came without pitchers and is just now forming one. It's about 2 inches, maybe a little less. Seems to still be growing. I hope my plant behaves the same. Also helps me judge if I'm giving it enough light.

So how big can these pitchers get?

Cobalt Crow, they can get to be about the size of a liter soda bottle.

JLAP,

I grow mine in my apt in Atlanta and don't have any problems. It even "bleeds". I plan on moving it outside once the pollen stops. All my temperate plants are yellow.

Fantastic guys, thanks! Very reassuring.

Cobalt Crow, they can get to be about the size of a liter soda bottle.

JLAP,

I grow mine in my apt in Atlanta and don't have any problems. It even "bleeds". I plan on moving it outside once the pollen stops. All my temperate plants are yellow.

:0o: The size of a 1L soda bottle! Wow. Thanks for the info!

ok guys. here is my plant. the first pitcher was the single one it came with in december. it goes in order.
IMG_0872.jpg

IMG_0873.jpg

IMG_0874.jpg

IMG_0875.jpg

newest one. seems much bigger in real life...
IMG_0877.jpg

Alex

yeh they do grow quite fast. My newest pitcher is double the size of the first one it came with

Mine doesn't have any pitchers that are liter size yet, but the ones at ABG do...

Back