What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey! My D. scorpiodes bloomed!

d-scorpiodes.jpg

I wonder if it will actually produce seed. Anyone know?

Wow dude that's amazing!

I wouldn't bet on it making seeds; I've heard that pygmies don't make seed too often, and who would want any, when they make hundreds of gemmae every year? :banana2:

-Ben

Kool Whip! Yeah, seeds aren't the way to go with pygmy sundews. It's the gemmae. Another cool pigmy flower is the D. callistos. It has an orange flower.

i got seeds from my pulchella. they are rather large seeds at that. i dont know if yours will make seed though.
i agree with Ben. who would want seeds? but then again.... if you wanted to ship internationally. you cant ship gemmae because they are fully alive plants. seeds on the other hand can be shipped anywhere(excluding the CITES guys...)
Alex

EDIT: second ninja....whats wrong with me today...

Kool Whip! Yeah, seeds aren't the way to go with pygmy sundews. It's the gemmae. Another cool pigmy flower is the D. callistos. It has an orange flower.

Oh, I know about gemmae, but I was hoping for the genetic variation that would come with seeds. I'll look around for D. callistos. I don't think I've seen that pygmy. Sounds like a nice color variation on the typical drosera pink or purple.

If you want genetic variation, you wouldn't self a plant. You'd want two completely different plants to flower at the same time, and considering most if not all people cultivate pygmies via gemmae, I'm guessing most are very similar, and there may only be 5 different plants circulating around, but with hundreds of their 'clones'.

-Ben

Back