What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem with auriculata seedlings

I'm having some troubles with my 5 month old auriculata seedlings, couple weeks ago most of them started to die down. They are my 1st tuberous drosera so I don't know if it's time for they to start producing tubers, even being young I think (one of them has upgrowth with 3 leaves). There's also some webbing on the soil (gnat larvae?). Here are some photos to help.

January 28th

Today

I was also thinking in reppoting, or should I just wait for tubers?

Are you overwatering, perhaps? The soil looks like it's got a little algae on the surface, and I think those fuzzy things are little fungal blooms. Have you been topwatering this container? Spraying the surface of the soil to water (while avoiding your plants) is a good way to reduce unwanted residents like mosses, algae and fungus. Er, well, once a moss is established watering it will just make it happier, but I think moving the surface media around a little helps keep pests from growing on it. Those established bits of fungus should perhaps be picked off with a pair of tweezers or something - in my experience, those little fungal things will stop spreading if you get good water circulation through the media and increase the local air circulation, but the established blooms don't seem to break down on their own and have to be removed by hand.
~Joe

That happened to me twice.. but it whiped out all of mine.. which was actually only a couple of seedlings.. but i was under the impression that it was because the photoperiod made them think that it was summer.. and they croaked for some reason. I'm still not quite sure.

Remember this?
I reduced watering and finally let the pot dry this week, and this is what I found:

tubers640x455tj2.jpg

There's another smaller one, from what I guess to be tubers?
Still have another pot with seedlings, so if anyone has pics of auriculata seedlings going dormant I would appreciate :wink:

I'm experiencing the same thing with both the auriculata and peltata. I'm going on the assumtion that this is their time for dormancy and have just stopped watering them. If there's any life in them at all, hopefully I'll see some come fall. If not, I won't be actively seeking tuberous sundews... just like the woolly ones!

Back