What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. purp differences

I've read enough about the difference between the nothern and southern purple pitchers, but I think I need to see it to truly grasp it. By any chance, does someone have a pic of the two varieties side-by-side?

I don't have a northern pitcher plant but I can show you my southern pitcher. Hope this helps a little

DSCF0586.jpg

As far as I can tell, the only main difference that you will see is that the southern subspecies (ssp. venosa) will have quite a bit of short hairs on the outside of the pitcher, while the northern subspecies (ssp. purpurea) will not or will have very few. I suppose also the southern subspecies will have more squat pitchers, while the northern will have more elongated-ish pitchers.

-Ben

From my experience, S purpurea ssp. purpurea has a as Ben said more elongated pitchers, fewer peach fuzzy hairs, and grow a little more slowly. Whereas S. purpurea ssp. venosa has larger, more squat, and fuzzier pitchers. S. purpurea ssp. venosa var. burkii grows and looks almost exactly like S. purpurea ssp. venosa, but it gets much larger pitchers, pink flowers, and it grows a little bit slower.

S,. rosea (I don't think it should be it's own species) has very short scapes as well.

I support either or, but i like to call it S. purpurea ssp. venosa var. burkii, because it has a long name.

Pretty sure I have S. purpurea var. purpurea... brought back to health from a lowes cube of death.. Doesn't seem to be any hairs on the back of the pitcher.

Not entirely sure I agree with the slow growth of this plant though..
This particular pitcher shot up in about 5 days and is the largest of 5 on the plant now.
The rest does seem to be pretty slow growing though... perhaps it's just that one pitcher.

purple_pitcher.jpg

I believe that the lowes cubes have S. purpurea ssp venosa

S. purpurea ssp. venosa - waxy, hard pitchers which are smaller than venosa. Thin pitcher lips and small, rounded hoods.

S. purpurea ssp. venosa - soft, fuzzy pitchers which are more bulbous and squatter than ssp. purp. Fatter pitcher lips and larger hoods too.

S. purpurea ssp. venosa var. burkii - as venosa, but with fatter pitcher lips and larger, usually undulated hoods. Magenta, pink or pale pink flowers on shorter stems. Pitchers are usually pinkish in colour.

So I have venosa then? :)

And would that make this purpurea?

purple_pitcher2.jpg

if its from a cube. its ssp venosa
Alex

That would make that plant in the picture too young to tell! Probably is var. venosa however.

Back