What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

need help with new VFT

Kagome100

Love my boy friend
I got this VFT from my bf on my bday the other day, its young and not to big. Well i fixed up a tank for it, the tank came with a glass lid *it was a fish tank i think* well i would like to know if i put a light on top of the glass would that hurt any thing? I want to make the hum high in the tank.

Depending on where you live, a tank is probably not necessary. Growing VFTs outdoors in full sun is usually best, but again it depends on where you live.

Some people like to put their plants in a high humidity environment for a short period after getting them. Some people like to "harden" them off by placing them in a high humidity environment and slowly decreasing the humidity. Some like to put them directly outdoors. It's all up to your personal leanings.

A fluorescent light generates relatively little heat and many people place the tank on its side with a light laying on the glass of the now "top". This way you can reach into the tank without having to move the light every time.

See the care sheet sticky and Barry Rice's FAQ on VFTs for more info.

I guess you'll have a ready supply of live food for your carnivorous plants :)

Ok, well i live in GA. Right now it's just a little warm out side, the weather is crazy here right now, one day its' frezing cold next day its hot than one day it's pooring rain than we have a long time without it.. Alot of my plants died out side starting of this year because of this weather. That's why i want to keep it indoors till the weather stops all this strangness. The heat light is a 15W UVB light, i have reptiles and i used UVB lights on there tnaks so i thought it would be ok for the VFT. So your saying it's ok to put the light on the glass top?

It should be okay to lay on top of the glass. Leave a two inch wide gap on the length of the glass cover for air circulation if possible. Raise up your VFT as close to the light as possible because there isn't much light output from the lamp, but it will do until the weather warms up.

A sunny windowsill may be better for the interim.

There are quite a few of CP growers in GA on this board, Clint (JustLikeAPill) and Travis (Pyro) come to mind.

Yeah I know this weather is crazy. The frost killed a lot of my Sarracenia and out of all my plants, I have one solitary pitcher.

They need more than UVB.

I'd definitely check out Barry Rice's FAQ on VFT's before you keep reading this topic as it will most likely answer all your questions.

Weather is stable up here in Wisconsin. It's in the 70's and 80's, and my Flytraps have had some houseflies visit them already! One of my Dionaea Typicals looks like it's put out a cupped trap type of thing. Weird.

cool thx, i liked that site, i looked around reading alot on it. Well the part of the light that holds the blub is a two bulb holder, i can always put another blub in if i need to. I will see about moving the tank near a window insted maybe. That might help.. well the VFT is in the tank right now, umm well you said something about making the plant more colse to the light, well the tank is not tall so it is close to the light so i guess that's good, umm also how hot should the tank be? that little blub does make alot of heat. also if i added a plant growth blub to the light part would that help any?

Hey umm.. I'd just put it outside. All mine are outside and I think we are pretty much in the clear. Just watch the weather.

It might cook in the tank on the windowsill if it gets direct sun. It would probably be better to just put it in a tray of water on the sill. I don't know if your tap water is ok to use on CPs. It seems to be ok in the Atlanta area.

Or add another bulb to your light fixture. Since I can't grow outside, I have one venus fly trap under two 4' florescent bulbs and they do fine (for indoor growing lol) and even have some red inside the traps. More light equals better quality plants. Thus, full sun equals best.

xvart.

ok well i'll add another blub for days i can't take it out side, but i'll start taking it out side in the tank but i'll take the lid off. thx.

Back