What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ceph humidity issue

vraev

Carnivorous plant enthusiast
Admin
Hi guys,

I woke up this morning and suddenly saw the new adult pitcher opening.

However, a lot of things crossed my mind:

- An old pitcher which was there since I got the plant...that was kinda under a LEAF is still nice and fresh
- 2 new pitchers that formed later had dried up

Based on that i figured...of course...the lids are open....humid air is escaping.
So before heading to class...i immediately made a sacrifice of my 4 L bottle to give my ceph a dome.

Check this out

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

Basically a 4L bottle cut at the top. I cut off the mouth peice of the bottle.

Instead of misting the plant...I can mist the plastic so that the plant remains dry without compromising the humidity.

Should I be expecting to loose any pitchers? :(

Do u think this is wise? I noticed that only the open new pitchers last max a month or so. The old one under the leaf which has a nice micro environment for itself is still here after like 3 months.

-------------

hmm....... :( What do I do?? What do I do?? :( This is the first real pitcher on my plant. I do not want it to go into stress now. :( I am just doing this as I noticed that low humidity makes the plant loose its pitchers faster than with higher humidity. The temp I just noted is like 85F inside the dome as it is pretty close to the light. However, the humidity is easily around 70% + .

thanks,

varun

Looks like an Easter Basket with your improvised dome. Where are the marshmallow chickies and chocolate bunnies?

lol! the ceph pitchers are the marshmellows. :p

I just cut open like a cm^2 squares in the side to allow movement of air. :p

FWIW, ive always kept mine around 40-60%RH and the pitchers last for many months

Av

hmmm.... :( dammit....what do I do now? leavve it like this? or remove the dome? :(

personally, I would remove the dome... unless you are having to acclimate them you're inviting trouble IMHO

I have never covered mine, but of course ymmv

High humidity and no air movement, bad for growth ! The plant looks healthy enough I'd take the dome off and just leave it alone. This is one plant genus that grows slooooow. You can sometimes do more harm by fiddling with them than just leaving them alone and watching !

Alright guys....thanks soo much for the help. I just removed the dome. I am right now just praying that the lid shouldn't close. :(

ill agree as long as you combine it with good circulation...

just remember, smaller pitchers wont kill the plant but sudden death syndrome and botrytis will

not smaller pitchers...the issue is "drying up" pitchers. I guess right now i am back at the situation I was when I go tthe plant....After soooo much fiddling around...I am again worried if it will go back into shock. :(

I guess it must have adjusted ...or else it wouldn't have made an adult pitcher. :)

But me being a genius...I screwed around with it now.... o boy! I am scared.

Just cut progressively bigger holes in the dome over a week or two.

I was just looking up the ICPS cultivation info on cephs. They say that root rot is the cause of death. they said something about drip irrigation.

can someone please explain how to do that? I basically water my ceph once in 3 days or so. I just use a spray bottle...spray some in the bowl...watch it seep in... do it like 3 or 4 times until the seeping stops and there is like a couple of mm of water. Then I stay away and just watch it from the sidelines for the next 3 days.

I put the dome in the morning around at 9 AM. Its like 4 Pm now. I had been shuffling the dome on and off. I removed it like 10 min ago. Do u think I should put it back and reaclaimatise it?

If i cut too many holes...that defies the purpose of having the dome. Instead...tehre is no air circulation and the heat builds up and the humidity escapes.( I especially noticed that these windows make a lot of effect on humidity drop in my nep enclousure).

I'm certainly no ceph expert but I have never had one dry up,

Charles Brewer once said that the lid opening had more to do with substrate moisture level then humidity...

in my experience it seems to have something to do with maturity as well, probably a lot of factors come into play

but I keep mine at 40-60%RH, I don't mist and I don't use domes, of course cephs are famous for being divas and drama queens

couple pics of mine fwiw

cephalotus2.jpg

cephflower.jpg

HOLY CRAP!! that is insane. OMG! WOWWWWW!! :D amazing. :D Man! I can only dream of my ceph becoming like that. :D WOW!

O....is it ok ... I just moved the plant in center under the light. Earlier it was at a side....at like 4 or 6 inches under the 4 foot shoplight. Now its daed center under both the tubes. I am hoping this should be a little improvement.

here is where it finally stays now:

When I got my little ceph a few months ago, I decided to heed the warning of so many others about how a leading cause of death is loving the plant to death (ok, that sounded a tad kinky but I hope that you all know to what I refer). I keep it on an east windowsill and water it when there isn't anything in the saucer and it is growing just fine. Nothing covers it and I don't fuss with it at all. I've never even repotted it, although that is probably going to have to be done soon. The room humidity is around 55 or 60% and that's about it.

Keepin' it simple.

yeah! thats it. I am not touching it anymore. I'll only watch and hope that the new pitcher's lid doesn't close. :(

Back