What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any local sources of t5 ho?

• Thread starter drosoceph
  • Start date
Where can i find locally a t5 ho light bulb, also, do i need a special fixture?

Yes, you can't put a t5 HO lamp (it's implied that it's HO whenever you're talking about T5's for growing plants/coral) in a regular shop light. That's the whole point :) Duh.

Another member mentioned buying a cheap 8-lamp T5 system. Might want to buy that instead of Tek-lights. Do your research first.

Where's locally? You don't say where you're at in your post or on your profile. Why bother to ask if you don't say where you are? You shouldn't have even made this post without researching first. Don't you have the yellow pages? Look up a hydroponics or saltwater aquarium store.

bittersweet yet great help thanks.

By locally i meant to ask, can they be found in the average pet shop, home depot, plant nursery, or is it something you need to buy online.

T-5's are not usually found in the average store. I have found them available at hydroponic supply stores and online. Expect to pay about $15 PER bulb! Also they require special fixtures and are generally expensive. They run over $200 for a 4 bulb, 216 watt fixture.
You can check out my link below for pics of the 4 bulb Tek light:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/minicatt/sets/72157601401692213/

If the price is out of range, i would recommend the $10 shoplights from Walmart. Use t-8 bulbs which run about $3. 2 fixtures and 4 bulbs would then be about $32. Total wattage would be much less though at 128 watts, but adequate to grow most cp's and other plants
Peter.

Look at Lowe's... They've got 2 bulb 4' T5 fixtures for like $30. My local Lowe's said they did not carry them all the time, but could be special ordered. I did see one fixture on display though. They're direct-wire though...

Those are not HO T5's and produce less light than NO T8's and T12's. Don't waste your money on that when you could get a 4 lamp shop light.

Back