What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone take the ACT?

• Thread starter Clint
  • Start date

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
My mom wants me to take the ACT as well as the SAT. I took an ACT practice test, and since I don't really know anything about it, I was wondering if someone who did could comment on my scores?

Scale scores:
English: 31 - 97th percentile
Math: 23 -70th percentile
Reading: 36 -99th percentile
Science: 27 -93rd percentile

My composite score is 29.25. -95th percentile

I'm worried about the math :( I missed 20 out of 60 questions. I take the ACT on the 15th. It said the average math score is like... 20.something so technically I'm above average, but I still missed 20 questions so wouldn't that mean I made like a 66% and failed? I'm pretty worried about that. Does the 70th percentile mean I scored better than 7 out of 10 other people? See. Told you I sucked at math.

You did well, as shown by the percentiles, which mean exactly what you think. I took it 30 years ago and liked it much better than the SAT. The science and social studies give it variety and it didn't seem to have as many trick questions as the SAT.

I took that about 6 years ago and its not too bad. Did your test give you types of math you didnt do well on (i.e. Alegbra or Geometry) If so I would try to work on those areas if not well then the entire area of math is hard to study for. Over all though I would be happy since your scoring in the 95th percentile which means only 5% of those who take the test do better than you which is quite good.

Otherwise good luck I hope it goes well for you.

i did a 30 overall, and bombed on math, i think i brought in a 21 or 22, not sure its been a few years.

the poor math is just a reflection of your thinking style. you're probably more creative and emotional than most people. if you do poorly on your math on the real ACT, colleges will look at your other scores and be like "ok, hes not dumb, thats just his style"

in any case math is most definitely use it or lose it. once your in college string all your math classes together one semester after another and you'll do fine.

The test gave me geometry and elementary trigonometry (no experience with that at all.) I'm mainly worried about my math because I want to be a Dr. I'm hoping my good science skills will make up for it. Why am I good at things like history and English that don't matter? It sucks.

There wasn't any test for social studies, Bruce. I didn't do the writing test since I'm a good writer and not worried about it, lazy, and it's optional anyway. I will, however, take it on the real ACT on like.. the 15th.

I didn't do too hot on the ACT, but the SAT i got a 1270 which was good enough for what i needed to do. I wouldn't worry about it. Just study best you can and then that's that.

I thought it had something about history, geography and so on, but it's been a long time. You haven't done trig?!? Isn't that one of the standard math classes for people heading to college for the sciences?

Nope, sure haven't. In fact I was told to do calculus before I did trig. I'm not looking forward to either of them. I've got to finish chem. II, a spanish course and then I do physics and start trig I guess. I can always be a vet or a therapist or something I guess. I think everyone my age goes through this and all of this worrying is mainly in my head.

Excellent scores, man. If you can bring your math up a few points you'll have a killer score for the college applications. You should go to the bookstore and pick up one of those practice books and go through the math questions in those books. Standardized tests are just that: standardized; so, if you do a lot of practice problems you will start to recognize questions on the test and more importantly, what those questions are asking.

When you become more familiar with the variety of questions you will be more comfortable with the math section and you will do better throughout.

I think I got a 27 of the ACT. I had a 32 on the math section and I did terrible on the reading section because I got distracted by this attractive girl sitting one desk up and one desk to the left... lol.

xvart.

edit: and yes, 90th percentile means you did better than 90% of your peers.

Nope, sure haven't. In fact I was told to do calculus before I did trig.

Rrrr... Just my opinion, but I'd say that trig should be done BEFORE calculus, and optimally before physics as well. The rules from Trig end up being very important for aspects of calculus. But I suppose the course they give may not emphasize any of the trig-related stuff. :shrug: Still, if you can, I'd take trig first.

I'm mainly worried about my math because I want to be a Dr.

Don't worry about that. They'll look at your ACT/SAT score as one small piece of the puzzle for applying to college...but then that's it. Once you're admitted to college, your scores on these tests don't matter. at all.

what's much more important is getting good grades in college (which may mean getting a degree in something besides biology if that's easier...but you will have to take some core science and math courses), having a few good internships, and getting some experience in the health field. you'll have to take the MCAT (med school standardized test) and probably the GRE (generic grad school standardized test)...but that's a few years down the road.

bottom line: med schools don't care about your ACT score. a good ACT score MIGHT help you get into a good college, which MIGHT impress med schools when you go to apply. and it looks like you're going to get a good score, so no worries!

Well, yesterday I missed 20 out of 60 but I completed the entire test and didn't do it within an hour (you only have an hour to answer 60 questions on the real test). Today I did a different practice test and only gave myself an hour to do it. I still missed 20 out of 60, but only 11 of those 20 were questions I got wrong on my own (and a couple were guesses since they were trig questions). 9 of the 20 i missed I didn't have time to answer.

So I guess if I can speed it up and go faster I don't have too much to worry about. I'm not going to do any schoolwork this week and only focus on studying and getting faster for the ACT. I also didn't sleep much (maybe.. 2 hours tops) last night so maybe that's why I was slow.

Learn to pace yourself and to not spend too much time on a single question. When you don't know an answer on a standardized test, eliminate any that are obviously wrong and guess from whatever's left. Tests like the SAT and GRE subtract off for wrong answers - 1/4 point if there are 4 answers - to eliminate any advantage from wild guessing. But if you can eliminate an obviously wrong answer or two and guess from the rest, odds go in your favor. I don't know if it still does, but I think the ACT used to only add up correct answers and not count off for wrong answers. If it still does, make sure you spend the last minute marking an answer for everything, even if you don't read all the questions.

Is it the ACT that subtracts points if you answer wrong? Or is that some other standardized test?

xvart.

Whenever I was grading my practice tests, It said to only add the correct answers, not to deduct points for wrong ones.

Must be something else then. I could've sworn it was the ACT because I remember talking to people who were saying "don't answer them if you're not sure!" and I told them that was silly since if you guess completely on four questions your odds of breaking even by guessing correctly is even. Actually, you'll be slightly ahead and if you guess two correctly you're even further ahead.

Oh well, probably some other test...

xvart.

Most standardized tests, at least those from the SAT family (cartel?), do subtract for wrong answers. But you get a point for a correct answer and lose a 1/4 point for an incorrect answer, assuming there are four choices. It's actually more complicated than that because of all the statistical manipulations that go into testing, especially if you take the test on computer. In that case, correct answers lead you to more difficult questions, while wrong answers lead to simpler questions. With the former leading to a high score and the latter leading to a low score. Someone with a high score sees different questions than someone with a low score and I suppose they could get the same number right. I much prefer the good old days of #2 pencils.

edit - it would be a point for a right answer and a loss of 1/3 point for a wrong answer, so random answers have a value of 0. But, as I mentioned, the computerized exams change everything.

But, as I mentioned, the computerized exams change everything.

You're right. I totally forgot about computerized testing. Things sure have changed, and I took my last standardized test maybe eight years ago.

I much prefer the good old days of #2 pencils.

Me too! Go scantron!

xvart.

I got a 31 :0

The ACT is way easier than the SAT..
And...for sure trig should be done before calc...at most schools trig is called "pre-calculus" LOL

The ACT is universally accepted as THE test in this region. Everyone has to take it where I am. SAT is optional.

Don’t worry about math. I suck at math so bad… I mean I had to take algebra 2 twice, and had heavy help. KNEW I was going to suck on the math, because I do suck at math!
I got… oh somewhere between 70-85. I don’t remember, think it’s the lower range. Higher than I thought could possibly get... or perhaps should XD. The test is pretty damn forgiving. Even with that score, math my lowest, I still pulled off a 32 overall. Math dragged me down a lot but if you do good on the other things you will do relatively good. 29.25 IS still pretty good, all things considered.

If you are really slow at math, prehaps you can ask them about the extended time options. If you can get into that, you wont have a problem rushing.

Back