What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beef Jerky as a pizza topping?

• Thread starter jimscott
  • Start date

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
It's been a long time since I've initiated a frivolous topic on the discussion forum, but I wanted to banter this idea around with you. Now every pizza place has anchovies as a topping and virtually nobody actually orders it. Even I like it in limited quantities. I'd much rather have bacon or sausage or pepperoni... But I came up with the norion that beef jerky oughta be given a try, since we have these other "meats". We have a family tradition, whereby I make a crust in the breadmaker and my wife puts it all together. Generally speaking, she will make pepperoni, a Buffalo chicken, and a veggie pizza. I'm tring to convince my wife that beef jerky would be a tasty and legitimate topping, even if it is a bit on the chewy side. Whaddya think?

By itself as a topping, it's way too salty. I like to balance that flavor with the sweetness of Sarracenia rhizomes. Wild-collected S. jonesii are best, but others will do in a pinch.

When I worked downtown Minneapolis we had a menu for Eddie's Pizza Shop that had ostrich as an available topping, we always joked about ordering it but never did. No sense blowing $20 on a pizza no one will eat! :)

Not to blast your idea but what kinda beef jerky would be soft enough to eat on a pizza? I know slim jims are easy to bite apart but some beef jerkies I've had I couldn't even cut with a serated knife. Does it soften up in the oven? I've never tried heating it.

I once put sliced bratwurst on pizza (cut thin like pepperoni) but it came out with the crust all soggy cos the wurst was real greasy, even though I pre-cooked it and absorbed "all" the grease with a napkin.

I'm not sure if you can get away with that contrasting consistency; but if you can get some good beef jerky that isn't too chewy then I think you could have a legitimate idea on your hands!

Another thing to try that's real easy is just some tuna (from a can.) We've always had it be a normal thing in my house, but I've never met anyone else who has done it too.

Let us know how your jerky pizza turns out! :D

I actually tried tuna, once! (Surprise, surprise!) That wasn't terribly impressive. What I was thinking was NOT Slim jims, but the stuff that comes in the bags that leave the ciontents half empty, but not the Jack Links type. My apporach was to have the individual pieces cut up real small, as one would cut up bacon. This way you won't be gnawing on it forever. I still have to convince my wife of its legitimacy! ???

I used to make jerky from sliced sandwich meat. It was really thin and crispy, not chewy at all. It still had the taste of jerky. You might want to try something like that.

When I was in the UK they put corn on pizza. I thought it was weird but I tried it anyway. It was ok but not impressive.

Here's a hint for you to save you a lot of grief from your wife. Don't make jerky out of fish. It stunk up the whole house.

???

I love jerky,I would do that !

This could be the greatest invention of modern man.

I'd say chop it up into small pieces, or make your own out of a good quality cut of dead flesh so it isn't so chewy.

Have you ever seen the cuts of meat they use for Jank Links etc? Not fit for Bigfoot nor man.

It's been a long time since I've initiated a frivolous topic on the discussion forum
Ack. Perhaps because you ask really good questions lately that none of us seem to be able to answer?

As for the topping, i think it would be too tough. I dont want the whole piece sliding into my mouth because i cant bite it off cleanly and taking all the cheese with it!

... :grumble:

Am I the only one who could <i>really</i> go for some pizza now?

lol

nope-i just had CPK (california pizza kitchen for those of you unlucky enough to never have had it), and actually thought about putting jerkey on it...but i was to hungry to expierement. :D

This would be a mans man pizza who cares if its chewy, your a man. Now take your pizza into the back yard start a fire, set up a tent, and enjoy your beef jerky pizza next to a fire. I bet your neighbor will be jealous of you. Or think your even weirder than they thought before.

Another issue I have with pizza is that once I moved out of the NYC / LI area, I just can't seem to find a place that can duplicate the excellent taste of that pizza. I can't figure out if it's the sauce or the cheese or the crust. I think it's the sauce but there's NO grocery store sauce that gives the pizza the right taste. I don't know what they do back home but it sure aint being duplicated anywhere else!

yes! i actually tried this one on another forum. I think the Jerky would have to be shredded. Great Idea thou.

Jerky sounds like it would be way too chewy.

Best pizza toppings ever: pepperoni & corn! :banana2:

We have a family tradition, whereby I make a crust in the beardmaker and my wife puts it all together.
Talk about a chewy pizza!

Hmm...I love jerky, but I don't think it would work to cook it on the pizza. Maybe as a topping like the pepper flakes. I think cooking would make the jerky to hard to chew.

BigCarnivourKid... hey.... thats a great idea!! I like that "Topping on a pizza like pepper flakes"

Shove the Jerky thru a grater or even stick it in a magic bullet-contraption-thingmabob -

Powdered Jerky. Yummy.

you can buy already shredded jerky from the gas station in a little can. Its like jerky "dip"

Back