What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes Help

I just recieved a Nepenthes belii and a Nepenthes ampullaria. They are much smaller than I expected they would be, probably right out of tissue culture. Firstly I was wondering if there is any special care for plants this small? Secondly I read somewhere that these plants should be kept above 90% humidity when you receive them to reduce shock. The tank where I'm keeping them stays at 90% during the night and evenings but drops down to 80% during the day when I'm not around. Is this okay or should I close the tank off more to keep up the humidity? Lastly I repotted the ampullaria due to the fact that there was barely enough media in the pot to keep the plant upright and what they were growing it in was way too moisture retentive for my taste. Was this a big mistake? I did leave the belii alone since it wasn't as bad and I didn't dare disturb it's roots given its reputation. Any advice would be much appreciated.

When I get my plants I always move them to a biger pot the same day and then they go with the others on the greenhouse where the humidity is arround 60 to 80% only (a few times I get 90% or more, usually at night time on summer) but they get watered 4 times per day... the only one from my nepenthes that get really sad was the bellii (almost die) but for the rest they dont really care... they start pitchering like nothing happend and if I remember fine even the juvenile pitchers that they have at arrive complete to develop always with no problem.

Not sure if I'm just lucky, but I think the key elements are: enought water, time, and don't overprotect the plants and just let them aclimate at it's own.

I don't grow Belii but I can say that Ampullaria is very hardy and will not mind moisture retentive media. I grow my Amps in pure Sphagnum so I don't have to water them often. I do have them in very high humidity but I did grow them in ~60-70% humidity before with no ill effects (this was also when I first received them and they didn't mind). Exactly how big are the plants in question? Do you have any pics? Either way I would say that a daytime drop to 80% is no cause for worry, as this is still very high humidity. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Back