What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

dictation software - is it any good?

• Thread starter swords
  • Start date
I ordered Talk It Type it 2 Deluxe version dictation software to see what it's like to close my eyes and tell a story instead of having to type it. It hasn't come yet but I was wondering if anyone else has used such software? Obviously I'll have to go back and edit punctuation and quotes, etc but I think this would lead to being far more productive - eventually I might even be able to sculpt and spin weird tales at the same time.

But my wonder is if the software is any good? I looked for dictation software and this was the most expensive brand/version of such software I could locate on ebay - it wasn't much and includes the headset mic. It said it only takes 10 minutes to train the computer to know your voice and commands (I guess it supposedly works as a voice-driven mouse as well in other windows aps). But not having to think up and type stories at the same time would be awesome!

I dont like the softwre alot i find that when i am using one that half the words are wrong lol and anytting you are trying to say gees butched into millions of peices. But I havnt used one for a 2 years so i cant be sure how it is now

-Ryan

It's only as good as the person who trains it. It takes 10 minutes to "set up" to where it'll work, but it'll do an atrocious job unless you go through all the training things it has on there. I had Naturally Speaking from like 2004 and it wasn't good unless you spent a long time training it.

A buddy of mine actually uses some software like that for typing essays some essays. (lol) He seems happy enough because he goes back to it fairly consistently.

I'll have to find out what he uses. He's just got a free trial... it expired long ago, but as long as he disconnects his computer from the network before starting it up it doesn't check to see how long it's been used.

The speech-to-type thing that comes with windows is hilariously bad.

Thanks for the input folks - I guess I'll just have to see what happens with it when it gets here!

i think it will be frustrating you will get funny wacked out sentences and stuff and it will be like Did you mean this? my mom has used it at work and even some of the more expensive programs are ridiculous and then we have accents and stuff to complicate things.

Actually, they can be quite effective and good. My former boss has lost sight and uses all the voice recognition software for her daily administrative tasks (email, reports, spreadsheets, etc.). I'm not sure what it is, but I would imagine that it is more high end since it's an ADA requirement for state universities to provide "reasonable accommodations," lol.

xvart.

I don't mind spending a few hours to get it properly trained, not that I have interest in using it to open my web browser and run apps but just to let things flow instead of typing would be worth the effort, if, after training it works decently that is!

So do I but I'm not holding (or is that releasing) my breath just yet! :-))

Several years ago, I found it necessary to use this type of software. After a search of all the reviews & info I could locate, I settled on Dragon Naturally Speaking [iirc]. As others have already said, it is critical to spend the time training the program (longer than 10 minutes).

In addition, I found that microphone position is critical. They typically provide guidelines which should be followed. It shouldn't be directly in line with air flow from your mouth as that distorts the sound but too far away and sound quality also suffers. Correct position was approx 1" to the side of your mouth iirc. Once this position is located & the program is trained, it is important that mic position is repeated exactly each time you work with the program.

If you get a high quality program and follow the instructions diligently, it is possible to achieve 95+% error-free dictation (and command) functionality. Since my experience with this type of software was several years ago, recent advances may have improved operations even more...

Since no one has mentioned it, Vista (I'm not sure about Home Basic) Home Premium and higher editions come with speech recognition. Check this one out and some of these bloopers. I've played with the Vista speech recognition, as well as IBM's Via Voice and Dragon Naturally Speaking and they all seem to be about equally easy/difficult to train and use. The 2 biggest differances I see is A, it free with Vista amd B. I must admit I like the features in the Vista version best, but that's just my opinion.
Good luck and most importantly, the more you use it, the better and easier it gets.
Tom

I just bought a laptop running some incarnation of Vista - what's the program called? I'll see if my version has it preinstalled.

Back