What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

new villosa

A major step toward the darkside for me..

Ive had her about a week, diameter is about 1", BE clone

villosa_macro.jpg

Ive been doing my homework, hopefully my conditions will suffice. Long term, I know this one can be a challenge if the parameters arent close... I may add live sphag as a top dressing if need be, I usually prefer open mixes with daily waterings

enviroment.jpg

any advice will be appreciated,

TIA,
Av

Wow, they ship them small!

Wow. That is small, lol. Good luck. What is your nighttime temperature drop? I'll be eagerly waiting for updates on this thread. Good luck.

xvart.

What is your setup to keep the temps happy for this little fella? Honestly, I'm looking for ideas! I have no plans to grow this one, but I just need some ideas on how to get the temp drop for my indoor highlanders.

Hope it works out for you, villosa are in my top five fav. pitchers.

Fantastic plant B! :) WOW!!!!! That is sooo cute. :)

Those asking night time temp drop...notice the MAX AND MIN temps in the meter.

Max temp: 75F and min temp is 60F.

THose seem like perfect highland conditions B. :)

Nice plant. I would agree to add live LFS as a top dressing, but leave enough surface area spaces for the water to easily find its way to the roots. In a high-humidity terrarium, I found daily watering to be unnecessary.

Avoid sudden changes to high temperatures and drops in humidity; I learned that the hard way with my former N. villosa.

I saw the best growth when the temperatures dropped below the mid 50's at night.

It is a challenging plant to grow, even under good conditions, but well worth the effort.

Very Nice!

since my plants are in the basement, my thoughts are to install a dryer duct diverter in the trunk line of my central air unit. Put a little linear electric solenoid on it (unless i can find a prefabbed unit for a cheap price) and then control the solenoid with a digital timer and thermostat.

that way at night the diverter valve will open and air conditoned air can flow to the chamber... oh and use a pressure switch to also turn on a ultrasonic humidifier, that way one will be dedicated to only run when the draft diverter is open to chamber, adding moisture to the cold dry air

shouldnt cost anymore then 30 bucks I would think, the solenoid and pressure switches can be found surplus for a couple bucks

should eliminate the need and expense of a dedicated refrigeration unit... I think LOL

anyhow that is the game plan...

add link: Here is a commercial quality version of the duct damper

Last edited:
Very nice Av8tor. Keep us posted on how well it does for you :).

Daniel

Hey B! Wow! thats a heck of a plan. That would seriously seem like a good long term solution for this little wonder. Keep us posted on how the temperature ranges are once you construct it. ;)

A major step toward the darkside for me..

Ive had her about a week, diameter is about 1", BE clone

villosa_macro.jpg

Well, a month has elapsed since it arrived, this is all new terrain for me. Seems like it shows some signs of stress and acclimation to the lights I use, but the acclimation seems complete and new growth is obvious.

It's alive and hasn't dropped any pitchers, so I guess I'm doing reasonably well LOL

may52008villosa.jpg

any guidance is appreciated :)

Av

What a speed demon! Watch out, you might have to get a bigger basement by this time next year!

Seriously, good job. Get a syringe to fertilize with. Don't stick yourself. You might turn into the Swamp Thing!

Back