What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have a few questions I'd like to ask
The First question is about the first plant pictured. I'd like to know if it is normal for a sarr to grow pitchers so different in size? When I bought it it had the tiny pitchers then it put out the middle size ones and just recently it put out the tallest one and started putting out all the forming pitchers. I'd also like to know what the night time temps should be when I put it out to prevent triggering dormancy? I got it from Lowes and I know it didn't have a winter dormancy or at least much of one. I'm scared it will go dormant if I put it out but it's getting too tall for my set up. Temps are consitently above forty at night here now.

The second question is if the pitcher to leaf size ratio is normal for the bellii in the second pic

My third question is if the plants in the third and fifth pics are getting too much sun? The sanguinea looks okay to me but the HL truncata is worrying me a bit. The recently grown leaves on it are doing okay but the ones it came with are all getting pretty burnt. Should I move it to a more shady area now or just let it acclimate?

The last question is if anyone can id the nep in the fourth and sixth pics? I got it from lowes and it had the pitcher in the sixth pic on it. Two or three months later it's now making it's first pitcher while in my possesion shown in the fourth pic.

Hi neps n things,
Yes it is normal for sarrs to put out different size pitchers.
The Truncata looks fine. It is normal for the older leaves to die back since they were'nt adjusted.
The nep in the sixth pic is a ventricosa but I'm not sure about the one in the 4th pic.

- MasterGrower

Question #1 - yep, perectly normal to have different sized pitchers.

Second Question #1 - No, it wont go dormant if you put it outside right now..
in fact, putting outside right now is the best thing you could do for it, even with lows in the 40's..thats fine.

"triggering dormancy" starts around the Summer Solstice in late June, and gradually continues for the next 4 months until winter...dormancy comes on gradually due to slowly decreasing photoperiod (starting in June) and gradually decreasing temperatures from summer into autumn..its not something that one cold night will "trigger".. or even one cold week..

Just like the maple trees outdoors..they all know its spring right now..they will continue to come OUT of dormancy right now, even if we go from a spring warm spell into a spring cold snap..the plants arent confused, they always know what month it is..

(after they have been outside a few years anyway..a CP straight from tissue culture might be a little confused as to what month it is..but it still wont go dormant this time of year outside..and after a year or two of being grown outdoors it will set its internal clock and always know when its time to come in or out of dormancy..)

Scot

4th pic is N. sanguinea probably the orange pitchers form.

Alex

Unless Lowe's supplier glued the pitcher in the sixth picture to the plant in the fourth than they're the same. So I guess it's a ventricosa

Back