What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Emergency! Please help ASAP

It's like 90-100 degrees here and I ran out of distilled water! My mom won't take me to the market until later :[[[[

Can I give my VFTS bottled Arrowhead water in the mean time???

Please someone help ASAP

I'd take them inside and keep them away from the sun untill you egt the water or use the arrowhead water make sure there is nothing added) then when you get the RO water flush the pots to remove any nutrients from the substrate. You may want to in the future consider having them on your windowsill it really helps on evaporation,currently I go through 2 gallons a week mostly on my barrel bog .

any water is better than NO water! ;)

yes, bottled (or even tap water) is ok in an emergency..

the problem with tap waters and bottled water is the minerals..the "hardness"..
the minerals build up over time..(weeks-months)

thats why you cant use tap water long term (weeks-months-years)
because the minerals will eventually harm or kill your plant.

but for a few hours, or even a few days, ANY drinking water is fine..
just flush out the pot when you get your "good" water..
("flush out the pot " means take the pot out of the tray, dump some of the good water into the top of the pot and let it run out the bottom onto the ground..this will "flush out" any trace amounts of minerals from the tap water..)

using tap or bottled water for a few hours will do NO harm at all..
it takes weeks/months of continuous tap/bottled water use to harm a CP..

in a water emergency, its perfectly fine.

no need to bring them inside, no need to put them on a windowsill..just leave them where they are and give them a bit of bottled water..enough so they wont dry out until you can get the distilled..

Scot

Watering a few times with tap or other water will not kill your plant. Its watering a CP over time with unpure water that can cause the plant to eventually fail.

So...don't panic. Just get your pure water as soon as you can and flush the pot really well. It should be fine. :)

Just use normal water for until you can get distilled water. Once you have that, take the pot out your trays and flush it out good with your distilled water. That will help remove the small buildup of salts, minerals, and nutrients.

xvart.

edit: I should've read Scot's post more carefully, as he already said everything I did, lol.

Back