What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pest Problem Need Help! Urgent.

upper

Capensis Killer
today i went outside to take a look at my sundew, and i found Aphid, Spider Mite, and possibly scale.

i only saw like 3-4 of those insects, so i took precaution and DROWN the whole pot. it wasnt the only bug that was in there... :-( a bunch(i mean in the hundreds) of super small white stuff floated on top of the water and started JUMPING AROUND!! then a bunch of Aphid came out on top of the plant to gasp for air. and white insect(dont know what) that looks like a small flat spider(don know if its spidermite) then black tiny insect that i figured out it was an insect when i put my finger in there and it started squirming on my finger.

how long should i keep it underwater?
does the water have to be distilled?

Help, I need somebody,
Help, not just anybody,
Help, you know I need someone,
Help!
^^^--- sorry i was listening to the beatles.

btw its in pure sphagnum

A couple days oughta be enough time. The plant will look like adrowned rat for about a week, but will get over it. The critters won't.

i put it in normal tap water.
but man oh man, the plant started floating. i put some weight over it to prevent it from floating, and i think i'm gonna have to change sphagnum once the drownage is over T_T

Use Malathion. It's CP friendly (didn't kill my ping) and it kills all those pests.

its okay, i'll wait 24 hour then i'll just take it out the water.

my.php

editted post, put a picture of what it looks like.

Distilled, rain or reverse osmosis processed water would be safer, the chlorine in tap water may not do your plants all the much good. I suppose you could have let the water sit overnight before immersing your plants.

Tiny white critters floating on the water may have been springtails. They are often seen in massive clumps on the surface of water.

I'd soak them for two days just to be safe. Scale insects might trap enough air under the scales to keep 'em going 24 hours. Maybe not.

On smaller pots I usually wedge a few coins around the edges to weigh them down.

I was looking at that pic and of course it looked familiar to me, it was a photo I took last year to a major aphid attack on my Drosera capensis alba :D There's a thread here somewhere.
Just drowned them for a week and problem solved ;)

a bunch(i mean in the hundreds) of super small white stuff floated on top of the water and started JUMPING AROUND!! ... and white insect(dont know what) that looks like a small flat spider(don know if its spidermite)

are you using the water tray method?
I've had thousands of those little white bugs infesting my plant. They start off in the bottom tray, multiply out of control, and then make their way up to the top of the sphagnum in the pot. They haven't shown any signs of doing harm to my plants, but the ones that had the infestation in them, I threw away the water in the tray, let the pot drain out for a couple hours, and then stuck the tray (dry) back under it. I've let the media dry out a little more and it seems they've all died. I top watered the rest of the plants, filling the trays and it seems they're gone for now.
hope that helps.
Good luck w/ the rest of your infestation horror story :)---i know how frustrating the whole thing can be!
Take care,
Aaron

add springtail to the list of the insect that infested my drosera pot.

it'll be 2 day soon enough. and i used filtered tap water(no to little chlorine) there's some mineral in there, but i'll try to flush it out later.

Back