What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Woke up and found my bedroom covered with fire ants

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
Never eat in your bedroom. You know why?

There are fire ants crawling everywhere. In my bed, on the floor, in my clothes, etc.

However, in staying optomistic, I figured this is a great chance to capture as many as I can as food for my plants.

That's definitely a glass half full kind of perspective.

That's definitely a glass half full kind of perspective.

True. Not to mention that they'll be gone in a few days because there's only so many crumbs that they're after. Eventually, the crumbs will run out, and they'll leave.

Fire ants are carnivorous and as far as I know captures prey to eat. I don't know if they will eat crumbs.

I have some living in my bog. They get the other pests away, and sometimes become plant food.

Lol, I always eat in my room and I never get ants.

Oh, well then I guess this garbage can shouldn't be in my room. I hate fire ants.

I never get ants - but I'm not complaining. I have lots of weird bugs that do make it in though - it keeps the cats busy hunting moths and other "things" in the bathroom at night.

lol right now I am battling ants...which is hard for me because I have lots of animals so i cant spray poison.....however I have a method for getting rid of them....first clean the room.....get everything off the floor that doesnt belong there....really clean the room....if you dont have animals or arent worried about them use raid and spray the surfaces that you can where you see ants....once your room is clean it is easier because you can see where they are and what they are after.....first spray what they are after then spray the line going to it...then heavily spray the places where they are coming into the room....if the majority of them are on the floor vacuum. if you have animals and are worried bout them use windex.....it kills them also.....and it doesnt harm any surfaces........if they are far enough from animals/plants but you dont want to use raid....if you can, use spray bleach.....not only will it kill the bugs but it destroys the scent trial so it confuses the other ants..............

to prevent them from coming back make sure you clean up after yourself all the time....and keep the room clean......

Lol, I always eat in my room and I never get ants.

Yeah, but you're in Antarctica and he's in Florida! You get penguins and he gets ants, gators, and water mocs!:0o:

Yeah, but you're in Antarctica and he's in Florida! You get penguins and he gets ants, gators, and water mocs!:0o:

And just recently, pythons and komodo dragons. Stupid pet owners release their baby pythons and komodo dragons into the wild, and they're spreading rapidly through swamps and canals. I saw a news report and they think there's roughly 500,000 pythons in the Florida wild.

Don't be deceived by penguins! I left for 30 minutes once and the next thing I knew, my room was stuffed! And they can bite hard!

They didn't dance for you? How disappointing!

And just recently, pythons and komodo dragons. Stupid pet owners release their baby pythons and komodo dragons into the wild, and they're spreading rapidly through swamps and canals. I saw a news report and they think there's roughly 500,000 pythons in the Florida wild.

there are no komodo dragons in florida. maybe in zoo's. i think your thinking of another kind of monitor lizards

there are no komodo dragons in florida. maybe in zoo's. i think your thinking of another kind of monitor lizards

It was on MSNBC. They said that Komodo Dragons are found in the everglades and are spreading through canals because pet-owners released them into the wild years ago.

pet owners have never had access to komodo dragons......as far as i know alot of them in the US are gifts from the Indonesian government to various zoos in the US or decendents of such animals....its possible to get your hands on about any other monitor lizard(though some are very expensive) but komodos have never been in private collections in the US as far as i know.....water monitors and croc monitors are fairly easyy to get your hands on and get pretty darn big and the uninformed may confuse them with komodos

awesome!!!
release some in holland plz!!!:-O

pet owners have never had access to komodo dragons...

You are correct, they are protected species and will not be in anyones private collect, due to the nature of the bactieria that harbors in there mouths and also that it would be very hard to breed one or care for one and also theres not many in the wild.. Besides there way way to big for a person to keep in there home..

You or the media must be thinking about iguanas. They have been released and reproducing in fl.

If you'e right and they are komodo's I'll be headed down there to catch one.

Actually the only Komodo Dragons in Florida are in the Miami Metrozoo, The Lowry Park Zoo in Tampa, and at Busch Gardens also in Tampa. There is a problem with Nile Monitors in Central and South Florida (along with iguanas and other things) which is why as of Jan. 1, 2008 there is a whole list of reptiles that you can no longer purchase without a state permit ($100/yr I believe) and without having a microchip inserted. Animal control sets up traps for the monitors, but as far as I know they gave up on the iguanas and nothing organized is going on with the pythons in the Everglades. As a side note the Marine Toads are starting to be everywhere also. Hopefully your states won't be invaded by exotics or at least the residents aren't stupid enough to open the door and throw out the unwanted pets.

Back