What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Large temperature difference turn Mexican Red ?

I have heard some people, same as other carnivorous plant as Cephalotus and Venus flytrap.

To turn Mexican Ping from green to red, both high intensity of light and large temperature difference between lighting period and non-lighting period are required.

The high temperature difference can be easily be achieved by high intensity of light accompany with heat energy and open air condition during off lighting. However if somebody open air-condition with good air circulation all the time, the temperature difference will be low.

May any people have experience the whether large temperature is required?
Thanks in advanced! :)

A lot of hobbyists are growing them under artificial light but not necessarily providing much temp differential - and they look like your avatar pic. Right now I have my collection outside, under a chair and table, for more indirect lighting. That's enough to change their color.... and they are getting a good 20 F temp swing.

A lot of hobbyists are growing them under artificial light but not necessarily providing much temp differential - and they look like your avatar pic. Right now I have my collection outside, under a chair and table, for more indirect lighting. That's enough to change their color.... and they are getting a good 20 F temp swing.

Thhanks jimscott.
Due to very high summer, my pings are growing under air-condition with fan to provide good air circulation, I find the temp swing is only 4°C (i.e. 20°C off lighting - 24°C on lighting )
When compared to your good 20 F temp swing (i.e. around 11°C), I fear that temp swing of my environment is not enough.

I did notice this last winter with my weser (not sure about the id...from Lowe's). It was alot more red than it is now and now gets more direct sunlight than in the winter time. They aren't the only ones to do this. I also noticed on some of the sundews.

Thanks All

Now I will see whether my pale-pink Pings could change to deeper colour, for I will use T5HO X3 as experiement but with less temp difference.

I perform experiment and get result that large temperature swing is not necessary to turn colors of Mexican Pings to Pink or Red (Pink or Red depends on the species)
Below are some environmental statistics of my P. ehlersiae Tolantoga.
Upper Pic; Light intensity = I; Lowest temp = 21 C; Highest temp = 29 C; Date of pic taken = 4 Aug
Lower Pic; Light intensity ~ 1.5I; Lowest temp = 21 C; Highest temp = 25 C, Date of pic taken = 16 Aug

ehlersiae_Tolantoga_04Aug08s.jpg

ehlersiae_Tolantoga_16Aug08s.jpg

Back