What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My D. Falconeri Dews

*Barracuda_45*

Norhtern Michigan Dragway Mama
Heres just a few pics of my D. Falconeri dews, i had just repotted them last night.

Pic befour repotting, without flash.
when i took them outa there old pots i noticed there was TONS of roots, they were growing right outa the bottom holes of the old pots they were in..
DFalconerisundew010.jpg

This is after repotting, with flash as this was after it got dark outside and the house lighting wasnt very good..
much more room for there massive root systom..:-D
DFalconerisundew011.jpg

top view,
DFalconerisundew013.jpg

side shot,
DFalconerisundew015.jpg

top view,
DFalconerisundew014.jpg

side shot,
DFalconerisundew016.jpg

They lost most there dew while i repotted them, its slowly comming back now that there settled. I will get more pics of them out in the sun light in a few days..

Pretty. I want some... <cries>
I can't get any though. Nice plants! I love the colour.

They look fantastic!

Very nice
Do they grow in full sun?

Thanks everyone, there not in full sun outside right now due to very chilly weather they are in the house in one of my grow chambers under lights..
I really love these dews and am hoping to get a few more soon.. They are very beautiful..

they look amazing Bara! like all of your plants :3 Falconeri looks like it would be the distant ancestor of Dionaea, judging by the way the leaves are formed and the trap shape as well :3

Awesome falconeri's!

Falconeri looks like it would be the distant ancestor of Dionaea, judging by the way the leaves are formed and the trap shape as well :3

Yeah, I thought I'd add a pic of how it looks closed up, digesting its food:

IMG_1499.jpg

yeah ive seen that jeff xD adds even more to my thought lol

Mine looks just like Jeff's And mine are 2" below a Grolite!

Yeah... my many unlabeled petiolaris don't color up easily either. :(

Hey Jim, i dont think color just has something to do with lighting, ive noticed with some dews they color up much better due to the media i use along with certain bulbs for lighting. When i got these dews they were in a peat/perlite/sand mix, so i used the same type i mixed up and have had no probs at all with them. There in the same mix of media i use for the D. Kennealyii, hope i spelled that right.:blush:
I belive theres diffrent locals of this dew??? and each has diffrent deepness of color. What do you guys have yours planted in for media and what type lights are you using?? I also noticed the water levels they sit in effects them big time, i keep there water level they sit in VERY low.

I'm using 3/4 LFS and 1/4 orchid bark on some of mine. It's supposed to encourage division. ;)

I keep the water at .5 cm and let it dry out every 2 weeks... I leave it dried out for about 1week, maybe more if I forget. They don't seem to mind. :-D

Mine are in a mix of peat and sand, with a layer of LFS on top. So their most immediate contact is with LFS. I add water every few days, which is when the water line is at the bottom of their pots. I have a Grolite 2" above them, for ~15-16 hours a day. Tmeps are in the 80's and 90's, depending upon water level.

Jimscott, is there a particular reason why the lights are switched on for 15-16 hours? To simulate summer?

Jeff and Barracuda, do the both of you provide the same photoperiod too?

Thanks!

Hmmm.... I don't think it's really that important.

I grow splendiana hybrids, globosa, burmannii, raffs, and other petiolaris under the same lights. Cindy, you grow lots of LL neps right? You should keep your falconeri with those.

I never stimulate summer or winter for my plants; I never change light levels. Approx. 13 hours of per day under 4 florescent tubes. It's far away from the tubes too.

Don't forget, Falc's can take temps over 100 degrees F.

Cindy, mine are in the same grow chamber as the Bical, Hookriana, unknown baby nep, dews and seedling VFTs. The D. Facloneri and D. Kennealyii are 10 inches from the lights, i use 2 Daylight 48" Flourescent, 2 Plant Grow light 48" Flourescent, temps close to 90/92 day and when one set of lights is off when i go to bed temps around 86 ish, because im up most the night both sets of lights are on for about 14hrs. If it gets to hot durring the day in the house i have a fan circulating air in that room and all lights get turned off for aprox. 2 1/2 hrs. I use more peat/sand mix more than the perlite, bottom of the pot is a small layer of LFS then a small layer of perlite, then the mix 60% peat, 40% sand and a spoonfull of perlite. I still think its something to do with the media used and local of the plant.???

Jimscott, is there a particular reason why the lights are switched on for 15-16 hours? To simulate summer?

I'm just following what I read others do... or at least try to.

Thanks, guys.

I have my petiolaris complex plants under T5 lights for 12 hours. The Neps do very well on the same rack. Because my ambient humidity is high year round, the rack is left at my balcony which has a good amount of wind daily. But the timing is reversed...I have the lights on from 7pm to 7am. Just an old habit I can't kick from coming home from work and turning on the lights to fuss over my plants. :blush:

I do get asked the question "Don't the plants need some darkeness to rest?" but I don't see any adverse effects maybe because the plants don't stay there for more than a year. Most grow too big by then and have to be move out to the balcony ledge to get natural sunlight.

I keep mine constantly wet in my lowland nepenthes terrarium:

dfalconeri05.jpg

:0o: :0o: :0o: WOWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!! Now those are Falconeri.
Hail :hail: :hail: the Falconeri gods!! WOW absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!
Brokken, thanks tons for sharring, mine are kept in my grow chamber with my lowland neps as well as other dews. Cant wait till i get a few more of these jewels. I love um...
I noticed on one of mine the leafs/pads grow up out a lighter color then a day later turn that INTENSE color while the other has it right from the get..

Back