What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My "ALMOST" Cram Packed Winter Cactus Retreat.

*Barracuda_45*

Norhtern Michigan Dragway Mama
Well i had to get all my cactuses in last week due to awful cold temps durring the night and temps durring the day was nooooooooo btter for us. Its just been crappy crappy crappy out and i wasnt taking the chance of losing my babies.. Anyways this is how they spend the fall/winter months. I took this first pic as i was loading them in, and figuring out how i was gona place them. There are several cactuses not in the pic.
cactuspics08005.jpg

and this is how it looks today and to think i still need to get 7 more cactuses in there somewhere. Its gona be a tight fit for the winter.. LOL!! Nothing fancy as its in my office and it suits them well, who says ya cant keep cactuses in a tank.. :-D

cactuspics08008.jpg

cactuspics08009.jpg

Sorry bout the lighting i have to switch over 2 of the daylight bulbs to cool white bulbs the other 2 bulbs are GE grow lights, im using 2- 2ft long shop lights over the tank.

That looks SOOO awesome! I just love it!

Wow, I'm not much of a cacti person, but I must say, that looks fantastic!

Thanks guys..:-D Well big problem i guess im outa room and i still need to repot 4 more cactuses and fit um in there, soooooooo i guess i gota go out to the barn and dig thru see if i got a 40 gal long tank and redo the whole setup so alllllllllllllllllllllllllll my little spikey children can fit in there without being crammed.. LOL!! Heres how it looks today with 3 more added, the other 4 aint gona fit..:blush:
cactuspics08029.jpg

I will get pics in a week or so of the new setup..

Very nice. Are those some Saguaro saplings I see on the right hand side?
~Joe

PS - Oh hey! There's Saguaro all over.

I'm sure you can if you do some moving and maybe taking out some big rocks.

Awe, you can squeeze some more in there, lol. Nice composition. I've always liked the color contrasts of different cacti species.

xvart.

Hey Joe, if your talking about the pots with all the little babies in um your guess is as good as mine, i dont know what they are. ??? Those are all the babies i grew from old seeds that i found in a zip lock bag out in the barn that wasnt labled. By the way Joe your gona like the package im sendin yaz soon..

Capensis, even if i took the big rock out i still wont have room for the larger pots i still have to get in there. I have 2 40 gal long tanks in the barn gona bring one in next week and start working on it, with the cactuses and rocks and maybe some nice desert decorations and all the cactuses placed right its gona look real nice out in my livingroom for the fall/winter months.

LOL!! Xvart, there squeeeeeeeezed as it is plus i dont like things all cram bunched up. And yes i gota agree with the color contrasts. Nice having so many diffrent cactuses with diffrent colors and such..

I should have it all done and set up by next sunday, im gona be VERY busy for the rest of this month, racing tomarrow night, club events the rest of this month, more races and birthday bashes. Pics will be posted ASAP when done...

LOL!! Xvart, there squeeeeeeeezed as it is plus i dont like things all cram bunched up.

lol. I hear ya. There have been times when I've had to stack 1.5" seedling pots on larger Nepenthes in 6" pots, being shaded by the leaves of the bigger plant. Definitely not ideal, but what is a person to do? Of course that would be surprisingly difficult with cacti since they generally are the same size as the pot... lol. Good luck!

xvart.

Haha, that's close enough if you ask me. You've got to leave some manuevering room - Neps are a lot less spiny than most of those guys!
~Joe

Update!!

Ok well i have been very very busy the last few days with club meetings and planning events and i have now gotting the big long tank into the house and am gona be working on the "Winter Cactus Chamber" on sunday thru wensday, i should have pics posted by no later than thursday. Hubby is gona build me a light frame/hood so that you wont be able to see the lights. I have some supplies i need to pick up to use for in the chamber. Its gona look really nice once done, i also have to figure out where im gona put this in the living room. I am totaly outa room in the old winter cactus chamber and have several more cactuses and a succulent to get in the new winter chamber. I am gona be using 3 - 48inch shop lights across the top, 1 GE black light, 1 GE cool white and 1 GE plant light. The bottom will be of course rocks and have wood and other decorations. Today is my B-Day so hopefully hubby will be NICE :hail: and get me something..:-D If not :censor: im gona beat him with a stick..:poke: LOL!!!

I can't wait for the pics! It sounds like it will be quite a site. HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :banana2: :boogie: :-D

Back