What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

went looking for newts

• Thread starter Ant
  • Start date

Ant

Your one and only pest!
So today I went herping for some notos witch I have never seen here. So I start my jurney around a few ponds... nothing but frogs or fish... I waste my time there for a while and then give up on newts. So I go looking for terrestrials. I only find a few red backs, nothing much. I plan to go home when I see a few tiles under where gutters empty. So I flip the first 1 to find a healthy ambystoma maculatum! in total I found 3 of them!

the first 1
salamanders020.jpg

salamanders021.jpg

the second 1
salamanders023.jpg

I could have sworn I took one of the third but it wasn't in my camera... :confused:

Next I find what looked like an odd colored red back, so am I right to believe these are dusky sals?
salamanders022.jpg

salamanders024.jpg

And finially, the reason I posted this thread. I found a RED EFT! :D Though I couldn't find where the adults are I now know there is hope of me getting notos!
salamanders019.jpg

salamanders018.jpg

salamanders017.jpg

salamanders016.jpg

Wow, nice! Newts are quite the odd little creatures, aren't they! :)

yup even though only 1 is a newt!

Newts are cool! I used to spend some time, "going frogging" with different friends when I was a kid and turn over logs in forested areas for newts. I've only ever seen the spotted orange newts.

the grey ones are red back salamanders with a different color gene. Also remember those are SMALL spotted salamanders. Jim, I think the eastern newt is the only newt in your range with a terrestrial phase.

Very nice. Did you keep them!?

No... I want be keeping anything until spring. I would rather catch adult eastern newts or raise the spotteds from tadpoles witch is easier in spring.

Are those your glasses lying lens-down on concrete? :0o:

no...

Back