What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How long do you have your fan run?

When I run the fan it kills the humidity. But I know highlands such as hamata need the air circulation. My hamata got real bad when the humidity dropped too low and I didn't run a humidifier. I sealed it up repotted in LFS and ran the humidifier around the clock and it recovered but other neps leaves are kinda turning red and getting spots. Is it from no circulation? I have my lights on from 6am to 10pm so I was thinking to have the fan run at 6am, 12pm, and 6pm for an hour at a time. Sound like a plan?

Humidity typically raises during the night time, the heat from your lights and ballasts reduce it. If you're worried about it getting too dry, don't run the fan during the day because you're doubling the problem. If you do run it during the day, put the humidifier in front of the fan so it's blowing moist air.

Last edited:
My setup is a growrack that is about 95% enclosed in mylar and clear cellophane, with a couple vents up top(the 5% uncovered) for the warmest air to exhaust. I have a humidifier on the outside, with its humidistat inside. It draws fresh, dry air from outside the terrarium, and I have it routed to blow the cool, humid air inside -supplying both humidity and fresh air. I live in such a dry climate that my humidifier has to run quite a bit. Inside the growrack, I have two 4" fans that run 24/7. It doesn't affect my humidity, as my humidifier will automatically compensate. I don't have any mold, mildew, fungi, or disease problems that I know of. I attribute most of this to the fresh air incoming through the humidifier, and through the constant air circulation.

It sounds like you setup allows humidity to escape easily, and in that scenario, I'd just run the fan at night to help prevent the plants from drying out too much in the day - as long as it doesn't allow the temp to get too high in the daytime also.

As far as the red leaves with spots, I've had a couple neps do this in very bright light. Not sure if that's what may be causing it in your case though.

I know it raises during the night and drops during the day. I have about 60-70% during the day without the fan running and have the chamber sealed. The fan blows into the corner and not directly over the plants but even then it kinda kills the humidity. I'm trying it today to see how far it actually drops. Maybe the fan is too strong. I think another option is to run the humidifier after the fans turns off, or just run it the whole night.

Back