What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tattooed fish, thoughts?

• Thread starter Zero
  • Start date
My roommate bought a tattooed molly today.
Kinda weird. I don't know what to think about it.
Any thoughts?
PICS

tatoofish.jpg

tatoofish2.jpg

tatoofish3.jpg

My first thought was, incredibly tacky. Sorry :blush:

not my kinda thing.......i dont mind gaudy fish but prefer them to be naturally so

246_mandarindragonetgreenshrimpi.jpg

Thats no different then those 'painted glass fish' you see at pet stores. Glass fish have clear bodies, and some pet suppliers carry glass fish that have a stripe of bright paint injected along their spine. Pretty cruel if you ask me, especially considering that I've never seen one that hasn't been diseased due to the painting process.

Neat. But, I have to agree with Indiana Gardener, a bit tacky xD. Though, I feel sorry for it.

DavyJones, I completely agree with you. I haven't seen one in person, but it's kind of cruel.

If animal cruelty laws applied to fish (which they dont) painting and "tattooing" fish would be illegal.

IMO, this is one of the worst aspects of the aquarium hobby..
worse even than goldfish bowls..(which should also be illegal)..

about half the fish that undergo this procedure die from it..
they have to be taken out of the water, put on a towel or tray, and injected with dye with a large needle..if some die, who cares right? they are just cheap fish..

its pathetic and inhumane..
just attempting making living things "more interesting" to try to sell more of them...
they arent interesting enough as Nature designed them?
we have to "improve" them?..trust me, its not an improvement..its a major step down.

its done only to make more money..

its terrible, and I wish it could be stopped..
but as I said, there are no animal cruelty laws that apply to fish..
animal cruelty laws are pretty much "mammals only"..fish need not apply.

so idiots who paint and tattoo fish to sell them are free to commit these crimes with impunity..

dont even get me started on the Parrot cichlid..
Dr. Frankenstein at his worst..

Scot

He should get a glofish instead. They have an extra gene. Tatooing seems very cruel to me.

rather see it boycotted than outlawed..........think its a stupid thing to try and enforce as a law......

I'm also against coloring and/or tatooing of fish.

rather see it boycotted than outlawed..........think its a stupid thing to try and enforce as a law......

good point..
boycotting at least has a chance of being effective..
and knowledge is the key!

add this thread to the ongoing battle..

I once printed out a bunch of info on parrot cichilds and the dyed "bubblegum" cichlids and gave them to the owner of a small pet store..who was selling them..

a few weeks later, those fish were gone! :)
and not re-stocked..which was nice.

of course, the store itself was also gone after awhile...
it wasnt a very good fish store..

Scot

I'm not aware of the parrot cichlid problem, what is up with them?
Wikipedia didn't have a quick and dirty.

Yeah, I think it's tacky. Like I said, I didn't buy it. I don't think fish feel pain in the way we think of it.
My mother has a bunch of german shepard dogs that have ID number tattoos. The tats are done when they are puppies and they yelp when the pins go in but are fine the second it's over.
I found this while looking up these fish.
tattooed pigs, I guess they are saved from slaughter and are allowed to live out there normal lifespan.
http://www.wimdelvoye.be/artfarm.php

That's sad to see. I like tattoos on people but not critters. I wouldn't even have my address & phone number tattooed inside my pets ears.

I hate seeing those dye injected fish. For a while around here they were injecting all the glass catfish with glowing/blacklight pigments which some people claimed shortened their lifespan as well. I like natural harlequins like that goby or the Killifishes (a little easier keeping than that mandarin goby).

I'm not aware of the parrot cichlid problem, what is up with them?
Wikipedia didn't have a quick and dirty.

Parrot Cichlids (or Blood Parrot cichlids to be more precise) are mutant fish..
purposely deformed via selective breeding to be "cute"..much like Persian cats and pug dogs.

Not only are they hideously deformed, on purpose, they are also often painted and dyed:

http://s132607273.onlinehome.us/ar/blogimages/AndNaturalAquariums_E002/2nsq4cz3.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/teh_Kibbster/Cotton_Candy_Parrots.jpg

Only the orange and white color is natural..
this person is apparently not aware they are dyed to get the other bright colors:

http://cichlidresearch.com/parrot.html

(you would think a guy who maintains a website called "cichlidresearch.com" would be smarter than that..
but apparently not..)

the deformations make it difficult for them to eat and breathe..and greatly shortens their life span,
much like persian cats and pugs..who are bred to have flattened human-like faces..which causes all kinds of problems with their eyes, nose and throats..

but hey, whats a little deformity, as long as they are "cute" and sell well..

humans suck..

Scot

That is the dumbest thing I have seen done to a fish. And whats worse, I know most "normal" people will LOVE it and call us snobby elitists for complaining about it.

Oh my god, that is deformed.

pugs dont have abnormally short lifespans.....10-14 years.........most the bird dog breeds ive been reading up on(i tried hunting birds w/o a dog this fall......never again) their life spans average 10-12.....and they dont have squished in faces or any of that......most every dog breed has issues.....

pugs dont have abnormally short lifespans.....10-14 years.........most the bird dog breeds ive been reading up on(i tried hunting birds w/o a dog this fall......never again) their life spans average 10-12.....and they dont have squished in faces or any of that......most every dog breed has issues.....

yes I know all domestic dog and cat breeds are selectively bred..
(not to mention cows, horses, pigs, etc)
but it usually does not cause harm to the animals.

but IMO it "goes to far" when changes are so extreme that they adversely effect the health of the animal:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/q3lgJJjxw70&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/q3lgJJjxw70&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

and these extreme facial deformities are made simply for the "cute look"..
no other purpose..
so they look like little children..to make their faces more "human"..

Scot

That is the dumbest thing I have seen done to a fish. And whats worse, I know most "normal" people will LOVE it and call us snobby elitists for complaining about it.
I agree 100%

Dying fish is extremely cruel and I am very against it. We really need to bring those UK fish cruelty laws over here.

Also, as scotty said, goldfish bowls shouldn't be allowed to be sold.

the size of the needle the use to inject dye is equivalent to us getting a shot with a needle the size of a pencil. The dye tends to remain liquid under the skin.

Back