What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Second Node started growing

I have a ventrata cutting that has been growing quite well for me lately. About 2-3 weeks ago there was a small hail storm that I didnt expect (it was almost 40 out) and this hail caused the new developing leave to blacken. That leaf has since split and started growing a new green leaf that appears normal. The odd thing is a lower growth node appears to have started growing. This second node is on the original cutting section and was not even noticeable until it turned green and started growing. Is this normal? will this affect the much larger more established growth above the newly active node? Should I just let it grow and have a much fuller plant?

Might want to let it go. Some people think that multiple nodes will weaken a plant, but I haven't found that to be the case. I think disturbing the cutting probably poses a greater threat than an extra growth point. I don't know how normal it is, but I've had established (rooted) plants falter, only to produce side shoots and recover the leader node, and the result has always been attractive, bushy growth. Consider yourself lucky! If you'd tried to force it to branch, you probably would've ended up with a twig and a scrawny little basal shoot. (Again, going on my personal experiences.)
~Joe

Good to know, I was hoping it would just make a much bushier plant. The second node does appear to be growing slower than the larger lead node but it doesnt seem to be slowing down the other growth point. I will let it go.

Thanks for the info.

I think people cut smaller nodes just to make the other stronger. I felt like I had too on my ventrata becuse both were declining, it worked.

Well I will monitor the growth of both points though the second node appears to be the one growing slowly so I dont think it is harming the main established growth.

Back