What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Questions for my first pings

I bought a P. 'Weser' and P. 'Tina' but both plants were labelled P. 'Weser', please verify the IDs. Any care tips for my first pings? Both plants are not in good condition, what should I do? And one of them is flowering, should I just let it flower or cut it off like VFT? Thanks

Pinguicula 1
IMG_7386.jpg

IMG_7388.jpg

Pinguicula 2
IMG_7393.jpg

Thanks

Melvin

Last edited by a moderator:
I would recommend keeping the flowers, since the flowers are usually the only reliable way to make a positive ID.

You can compare your plants with those of other people's plants and with the published standard photograph using this web site created by BobZ.

BobZ CP Photo Finder - Pinguicula

The first one is almost certainly P. 'Tina' (also known as P. 'Hans'). It looks in good condition to me. The new growth is what you should concentrate on. Any plant that is moved is likely to have old growth that suffers in transit.

The second one does not look like P. 'Tina' and almost certainly not P. 'Weser'. It is most likely another plant where the identity may be impossible. As Joseph, says, the flower will help a great deal. I'm not sure whether the crinkly leaves are due to mistreatment/pest or is the natural growth. Be sure to update us when you get a flower.

As for care tips, have a look around this forum and the web. There is no need to cut the flowers off at all - most people will say that they are the main reason to grow these plants!

Thanks for posting

This is the flower of Pinguicula 1, so is it a P. Tina? It has 6 petals... while P. Tina has 5
IMG_7473.jpg

IMG_7477.jpg

Melvin

Occasional developmental aberrations in various parts of plants is quite a common occurrence.

Ok thanks, so Ping 1 is P. Tina?

Melvin

Melvin,
Yes, despite the aberration that appears to be a Pinguicula 'Tina' flower.

Those pings (at least the flowering one) actually look pretty happy. I'd just recommend growing them on the tray system (RO or distilled) in a sunny and humid place, sort of like VFTs. Oh, and keep them a bit drier in summer.

Drier in the summer? I thought it was drier in the winter.

Thanks a lot, I grow my pings in a tray system similar to my drosera, sarracenia and dionaea. Am i right? All CPs except nepenthes have to be grown in a tray system.

Drier in summer or winter? Unfortunately we don't have winter here, our coldest temp is up to 20 degrees C. So is it summer or winter haha? I still want to know.

Thanks

Melvin

It's supposed to be drier in the winter. LOL! This is where I live:

Picture035.jpg

It's supposed to be drier in the winter. LOL! This is where I live:

Picture035.jpg

Oh the HUMANITY! The snow where I am is finally just about all gone. We had a foot of it on the ground a couple of weeks ago though.

Melvin, as Jim suggested, it is most definitely drier in the winter. Summer time is when these plants are in full swing and put out the large carnivorous leaves.

Back