What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

i beat my wife to the punch...........

my wife has been looking for a male schipperke to go with our female.....i havent been real big on getting another cat that barks......however i have been looking for another dog, been looking for a bird dog cause after trying to hunt grouse and pheasants this fall without one i remembered just how tough hunting with out a dog can be......

well on a hunting site i frequent a member had a German shorthaired pointer that gave birth to a single male pup.....he thought he had seperated his pair in time when she was in heat but i guess not.....well the pup will be 6 weeks old on March 14/15 and cant be picked up before than.....and he and his family leave for vacation on the 16th so that basically means the pup needs to be picked up that weekend and not much sooner.......so in order to find the pup a good home he offered it up for sale at a greatly reduced price for the first person that could arange pick up that weekend....

unfortunatly i could not run to Rapid City, SD that weekend but my uncle lives down there so i called him and asked if he would pick up a pup for me and puppy sit for 5 days at which point i could make the 6 hour drive down to get it, he said sure so i told the guy i would take the pup......im getting an AKC registered German shorthair, from full blown hunting bloodlines for $100 plus my gas to go get him.....even my wife couldnt find a reason why i shouldnt get it :D provided the weather is good, we go down to pick him up on the 20th

here are the parents:
parentsaltered.jpg

and here is the pup
pup.jpg

pup2.jpg

Aww, the pup's so cute! good luck with him :)

Good luck! How do you have room in your house for all the plants, guns and dogs? I hope the kids don't have to sleep in the car.

You know six weeks is pushing it for taking a puppy from its mother, but another concern is that a single puppy tends to be weird. They miss out on socialization and often don't learn how to be a dog. It could end up making the Schipperke seem normal. Be careful with that one and watch for trouble. Hunting dogs tend to have a soft temperament and a puppy that hasn't learned to find its place in the hierarchy might have problems with a bossy little dog. Usually it's best to keep a puppy from other puppies until their immune system develops and they've had all their shots, but it might be worth finding other puppies close to that age and let your puppy get some remedial toddler time.

It's hard to tell from the photo, but the parents don't look like entirely like GSPs to me. It doesn't really matter, since you're looking for a hunting dog and aren't trying to win this year's dog show at the Wolf Point Kennel Club. Strange things happen to breeds on the plains. A lot of Brittanies, which is what we have, grow tall over there and have quirks in their coloring that make it look like some setter or pointer enters the gene pool now and then.

Are the pup's mom & dad related? Maybe the years I spent in Maine make me too inclined to ask that question, but it's important to know.

yeah im aware there could be some socialization issues being a single pup, hoping it wont be a huge deal as the schip and him will have to work out their hierarcy, as for the idea of him getting more "puppy time" ill talk to a buddy and see if his goldens have a litter at the moment....on the 6 weeks being early, yeah it is a tad, 7 is better but the only other option is for him to put the parents AND the pup up at a kennel while they were gone and that defiantly isnt the best idea and most wont take pups that young anyways.....

as for the parents being related, the mom is out of a kennel in Idaho, and the male out of a kennel in South Dakota so it is unlikely they are related though i suppose not impossible...some other members on the forum have purchased pups from this pair in the past and they have turned out to be fine hunting dogs....i take the whole AKC registered thing with a grain of salt, ive seen "AKC registered" huskys that were no where close to the breed standard.....but as you said my main concern is hunting and not winning dog shows...Bear is a full blood schip that isnt AKC registered, that slip of paper doesnt mean much to me........

as for the space issue, 4 years ago it would have been an issue, but we now have a decent sized house, good sized back yard so room isnt so much of an issue.....plenty of room for a second crate next to Bears, plenty of room on the sectional couch for the wife, 2 girls, 2 dogs and i to lounge around.....plenty of room in the backyard for both dogs to exercise.....aint really anything on the main floor of the house outside of the girl's rooms thats at dog level to be destroyed.......the new pup will be coming to work every day for socializing with other ppl and other than a 5x12 foot section infront of the customer counter, the small photo lab and dark room, the pup will have pretty well free reign at the shop.....

beautiful dog! I hope you have the best time raising it and going out hunting.

Whenever I used to hunt as a kid, we'd go with my grandpa's vizla and theres not many things better than a good days hunting and having a dog to help out.

not going to lie though... I thought this was a thread about domestic violence at first... haha
" I beat my wife... "

-Chris

not going to lie though... I thought this was a thread about domestic violence at first... haha
" I beat my wife... "

-Chris

LMAO! :-))

Congrats rattler. I wish you the best of luck with him and I hope he and Bear will be best buddies. Got any names picked out yet? He sure does resemble a chocolate lab puppy! (I know he's not).

He's so cute. :D I love how he's pudgy. Lol Chris, I was thinking the same.

most pups look about the same at 4 weeks........no names picked out yet.....kinda waiting till i pick him up......

Aww! such a cute puppy reminds me of my puppy when she was that little. I'm in kinda the same boat I'm raising Isabella my white boxer she's a handfull and loves my parent's older catahoula mix dog Dinky.

I hope the introduction goes well for you I'm sure it will since it's a puppy just keep an eye for the first week. What I did before introducing Dink to Bella I had my mom walk Dink and then when she got back we introduced the two outside then we took another walk with the two of them after that the two got along pretty well besides a few times Dink kinda got a little too aggressive a few times the first week, but she's fine with the puppy now.

Good luck with raising the little puppy I look forward to see more pictures of the little guy I bet he'll be a great hunter also puppies grow fast I still can't believe how big Bella has gotten since we brought her home, but one thing for sure I'm so thankfull I have a camera now to take pictures of her as a puppy I barely got much of any of my Pearly when she was a pup.

awwwwwww.............puppies is SO cute!!

and here I thought you finally decked her....no, wait! I forgot you have TL and this proves it, but at least it's a durn sight better than s-s-s-s-snakes! I guess I never liked dogs, even though I've personally embraced over 45,000 of the hairtards in the course of an....interesting....life. They do be cute, saves them from ending up early on as meatballs.....no, just kidding....trouble is, after they own your heart and soul it's time to take them to the vet for the Mercy. Happily for you both thats EONS away, so roll with the fat little critter and love it for me as well. I'd have a pet again after losing my cat, but I just don't have enough heart left to break. Love her for me too!

Back