What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More Spring Sarracenia . . .

Here are some odd images of developing pitchers, the first being that of a complex Sarracenia hybrid, followed by shots of Sarracenia leucophylla cv. "Titan," the same leaf undergoing various stages of development -- within four hours of one another . . .

Sarracenia (rubra x oreophila) x S. flava rugelli (for such a relatively small Sarracenia, S. oreophila -- as a "parent" -- produces "giants" in its hybrid offspring. The developing pitcher is over 75 cm (about 30") and counting.)
SARRHYBRID.jpg

Sarracenia leucophylla cv. "Titan"
TITAN.jpg

STITAN.jpg

Beautiful! Last one is my favorite. Sometime Sarrs do the darndest things.

For me, oreo x flava var rugelli IS the largest pitcher producing plant, period. I'm actually surprised that having rubra heredity in there, you were able to get 30" out of it, so kudos to you. :) Ironically, the developing pitchers are usually taller than the mature ones because the tip flattens out and becomes the lid of said pitcher. :)

For me, oreo x flava var rugelli IS the largest pitcher producing plant, period. I'm actually surprised that having rubra heredity in there, you were able to get 30" out of it, so kudos to you. :) Ironically, the developing pitchers are usually taller than the mature ones because the tip flattens out and becomes the lid of said pitcher. :)

Thanks . . .

It would seem that simply having S. oreophila in the mix is the primary reason for its large size and has been the source of innumerable hybrids; but the mature pitchers closely resemble S. flava in character and shape -- especially that of the mouth . . .

The largest Sarracenia for me so far have been S. leucophylla "Titan" and S. minor "Okee Giant" which will throw up a couple of pitchers in the course of a season a meter or so tall.

Back