What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Came home to a surprise!

Whan I came home from school today, my mom had bought me...

NEPENTHES VENTRICOSA!!!

NEPENTHES.jpg

right now it is in pure sphagnum moss, I'm pretty sure that's an ok mix. And I'm also pretty sure it can sit on my window sill for now without a plastic bag around it for humidity... I think. I'm so exited!!! the only thing is that it has no pitchers. :(

Cute vent :D it'll grow pitchers don't worry.

Congratulations. :D Looks nice and big. Did it come from a local nursery?

Try to not keep the pot standing in water, Nepenthes don't like that....otherwise its a pretty easy nep. Did you get that from home depot? at my home depot they have the same plant, soil and pot :D congrats again!

Nice plant. I wish I could find somewhere here where I could buy one like that. Exspecially for 12 dollars!

Thankyou everyone!

Congratulations. :D Looks nice and big. Did it come from a local nursery?

My mom got it for me from a place called "the pond clinic" and apparently they have more neps there with 10 inch long pitchers!!

and pet, it isn't sitting in water, it is just in a tray so when I water it water doesn't go all over my floor and stuff.

That's very cool Devon :) Good luck with it! hmmm i've never seen ventricosa to have 10 inch pitchers before though, maybe another nep

yes, it was certainly not Vent with those pitchers, that would be awsome. lol. I thought she might be talking about a truncuta or maxima... does maxima get that big? and I don't think I spelled truncuta right...

I think maxima gets that big. I think it is truncata, but I am no expert.

oh yeah, she also said thay had speckles... I forget that I don't think Truncata has speckles... maybe some other kind. I want to see them soooo badly though, sadly I've never seen any other nep but Vent. :(

I think that sound like a maxima, but could be other things too.

Truncatas odon't display speckles, many species can reach that size, Mixta, maxima, maybe miranda, and more species.

cool! I want to get a maxima, they look really cool. If they have it at that place I will get it. How big can truncata get? I heard it is one of the biggest neps.

The most likely is miranda. It can easily reach 10 inches. Maxima is a bit of a stretch for a garden center. Those mass producers in Holland don't produce any species, only hybrids. One guy has gotten 2 feet tall pitchers from a truncata. It was on of EP's specially bred plants.

how about big enough to eat some (sick) rats.

Truncata can get really big aswell, but the plants with the biggest pitchers are Rajahs, the biggest plant, excluding the pitchers are bicalcaratas.

yeah, but rajah is very hard to grow, unless you have a good setup. or so I have heard

The Pond Clinic seems like a neat place, but I don't see anything on CPs.

wow! So I guess bicalcaratas is really hard to find? And yes, I've heard of neps eating rats... scary though, lol. I want truncata and maxima.

Devon Bicalacarata isn't hard to get its quite common.

Back