What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

awaiting the pitter patter of little-roots?

Chomp

Oops
So as some of you know, I have a knew sundew. I was helping it catch food, when I noticed two or three small plants in the pot. I made a stupid mistake, and never read up on this kind of problem. I'd like to keep them, but if necessary, I am willing to sell them.I do have plenty of room to keep them, I just don't know how to take care of these babies!???

Just treat them the same as the mother plant. D. adelae makes TONS of little babies from roots. So that's just the beginning.

And when you say "Sell them," do you mean here on the forums or just sell them to other people? It's against the rules to sell on the forums. Just throwing that out there.

Wait...getting more plants is a problem? Sheesh, guess that explains why my life is so problematic :)

No reason to really be concerned about a bunch of baby plants. I seem to recall from a different thread your plant is an Adelae? They tend to get new little plantlets sprouting up around a larger plant from the roots so that is not uncommon or strange. Basically if you care for the adult plant well (not burning it with too strong of light, keeping it at a happy humidity and watering with mineral free water appropriatly) the baby plants should be happy staying in the same pot and get larger with the mother plant. Eventually they'll be a nice enough size that they could be moved to their own pot and seperated from the mother plant but since you just got the plant give it some time to settle in, no need to rush into dividing a brand new plant which, if it is from Lowes, probably came from less than ideal growing conditions.

Not sure why you would think you need to sell them...plus you can't sell plants on this forum. Perhaps you could try swapping some of your extra plants for other new carnivorous plants with other members if you want but there shouldn't be a panic about little plantets. That is basically the best part! Although I do have a case of propagate-itis, I think it is contagious too because it seems like a lot of people on this forum have a similair problem too.

I usually consider more plants to be a good thing, but to each their own. Drosera adelae will produce baby plants referred to as root runners. Over time, it will fill any size pot you put it in. Here's an example:
Drosera_adelae_Giant_Copyright_P_Dzik.jpg

Jason

Thanks for the advice guys!
(I'm trying to type this quickly, because theres a big storm hear, and I'm worried about a black-out)
so if I wanted to, I could put the sundew in a giant pot, and over time it would fill up the pot?

Under the right conditions, very easily.
Drosera adelae will produce baby plants referred to as root runners. Over time, it will fill any size pot

Coooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool!!!:-o

Thanks for the advice guys!
(I'm trying to type this quickly, because theres a big storm hear, and I'm worried about a black-out)
so if I wanted to, I could put the sundew in a giant pot, and over time it would fill up the pot?
not quite. D. adelae root babies come up when a root comes in contact with "the open" placing one plant in the middle of a giant pot will do nothing to spread it. what you would have to do is take root cuttings. cut one of the roots off of the plant and cut that root into half inch pieces. D. adelae has some thick roots and it will live even if you take all but one off. place those root pieces lengthwise where you want the plants to grow and push them into the soil a bit. keep it watered and in about a week or so you will see baby plants come up from the roots pieces.

i grow my D. adelae in long fibered sphagnum moss. its a very loose medium with lots of air pockets. so i get lots of babies in my pot of it. its the same medium (except that stuff is live) as the above picture. the more airy a medium is the more babies you will get. if you give your plant enough light(you can slowly adjust it to brighter light. mine is under 160 watts of fluorescent tubing) adequate humidity(again. can be slowly adjusted to pretty low), correct soil mix and water, it is going to flourish. just remember... NEVER EVER EVER EVER NEVER put fertilizers or chemicals on it. it will fry.

Alex

thanx. and yes, i have been careful with the whole fertilizers and chemical thing.

Back