What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

H. Minor - Old Reliable

carnivoure12

Hear the Call of Nepenthes
Hey everyone,

My Nepenthes my favourite genus of CP's have been letting me down because i keep watering my terrium neps too much, and have had a few loses.

However here's my favourite plant i have in the terrium it has never skip[ped a beat no matter what conditions its suffered. I really enjoy this plant, and grows very nicely. Its old reliable, has never let me down!

DSC02070.jpg

DSC02072.jpg

DSC02073.jpg

DSC02076.jpg

Needs to be divided though!

when I got it a year ago

DSC01341.jpg

Carn: Very nice plant, I wish I had some Helis. :)

On a side note: I'm glad you don't use the trashy sheet moss, like in the last photo, anymore.

Very nice. :) It surely has a grown a lot.

Clue its actually still in that trashy moss i just threw a single live sphagnum strand and it now has grown as a top layer, the rest is that trashy moss. :p

Clue its actually still in that trashy moss i just threw a single live sphagnum strand and it now has grown as a top layer, the rest is that trashy moss. :p

*Gasps in horror*

Love Helis! Good growing.

beauty of a plant, and don't divide it! MAKE IT HUGE!

Nice growing there, can't wait for mine to get that big.

Another storm coming, time for pics. :-O The cooler weather has been kind to my little H. minor's. Here are 3 pics of my largest from today:
Helioriginal020910bRS.jpg

Helioriginal020910aRS.jpg

Helioriginal020910RS.jpg

What I would have given for 1) manual focus & 2) controllable depth-of-field. :-( Heli's have so many photogenic aspects to them.... I definitely see a DSLR in my future....

Not a Heli but here's a little bonus - U. nephrophylla flower. There was no detectable wind outside when I went out but that tall spindly stalk moved with every infinitesimally tiny breath mother nature let out. Took over 30 pics & only one was close to being in focus ...
Unephroflower020910RS.jpg

.... and a hint of other blooms to come .....
Unelumbifoliabloom020510RS.jpg

I would also suggest waiting to divide the H. minor until perhaps next year. Wait for it to produce a thick network of roots . . .

Looks good carn, also love!! the helis.

I would also suggest waiting to divide the H. minor until perhaps next year. Wait for it to produce a thick network of roots . . .
I'm guessing that this comment is for Carnivoure12 ... :scratch: since I don't really have any plans to divide this plant anytime soon (the last 3 Heli pics are not the same as those posted earlier...).

My apologies for the confusion though - rather than start a new thread, I just grabbed a not-too-old H. minor thread to pop some new pics in. I now see the error of my ways ... :crap:

Wow, great Helis!

Update on my H. Minor (old reliable)

DSC02256.jpg

DSC02261.jpg

Beautiful!

H.minor has always been a favorite of mine . . .

Oh my...! When you say it needs division, you mean it :p

Hi Bigbella, thank you very much! I love it too, it has inspired me to aquire a H. Neblinae. This is an easy growing heli, and had never let me down. Those dead picthers didn't like the stronger lights and shrivelled, the rest were made after.

Needs a repotting though.

Oh And thanks Mr. Matei of the Sarrsdale ;)

Hi Bigbella, thank you very much! I love it too, it has inspired me to aquire a H. Neblinae. This is an easy growing heli, and had never let me down. Those dead picthers didn't like the stronger lights and shrivelled, the rest were made after.

Needs a repotting though.

Oh And thanks Mr. Matei of the Sarrsdale ;)

I would let that plant fill the pot even further. When I saw H. minor and H. pulchella in the wild back in the 1990s, you cannot believe how thick and tight the clumps were with almost no compost; that, and it also looks the best that way . . .

very nicely done C12...

:)

It has been a while since I posted an update on my minor.

When I first recieved it, it was small, and didn't have much colour. It went into a growth spurt, then its starting dividing into new plants.

Well fuelled by the urge to divide it over the irrational fear of it dying in a cramped pot I divided it into individual plants. Well it didn't go very well. Only the mature division and a smaller one survived.

This month they've finally started more active growing, here are some pics of it today ( It's not even the shadow of if its past self, however, it keeps proving to be a old reliable and I'm sure soons enough I'll have another lush minor! and this time I'm not going to let the flower scape burn when it flower!

DSC00088.jpg

DSC00089.jpg

Back