What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Light levels during MN winter and a Nepenthes Ventrata

I ordered up a Nepenthes Ventrata from this forums shop. I am worried about the amount of sun it would be getting this winter. The shortest the daylight hours get are 9.75 hours on the winter solstice. I am debating on getting a light to supplement it. The issue is I want to be able to keep it in a pot instead of a tank, and I need a compact lighting source or I would have to put it in the chilly basement. Also I am still living with my parents and they don't like high electric bills. That may not be so much of an issue I guess because I would only need a few hours with it on.

I know that the plant could survive the lower lighting, but I also want some good pitcher growth. One reason I am getting one is because many bugs come into the house fleeing the cold weather. These bugs would be good prey.

I wonder if anyone makes a grow light that could be attached to the hanging hardware for hanging a pot? I will google it.

You know, when I was living in Vermont, I had some Sanguinea, Truncata, and I'm pretty sure Ventricosa growing on a window sill that only got direct sun from about 1-2pm until sundown (which was a good 4 or 5pm) in the winter and they were as happy as can be pitchering away.

If you were me, I wouldn't buy a grow light.

that's what I needed to hear. If for some reason I have problems I could get a grow light then. I guess the snow will also help it get more light as the sun reflects up off the snow. You actually can get sunburn from that in the winter up here.

that's what I needed to hear. If for some reason I have problems I could get a grow light then. I guess the snow will also help it get more light as the sun reflects up off the snow. You actually can get sunburn from that in the winter up here.

Same in VT. The room they were in was pretty bright throughout the day because of the snow, so I don't really see you having a problem with it unless you're sticking them in a room with the shades down and walls painted black.

The only problem I ever had wasn't really a problem so much as a concern, with all the humidity from inside from the plants condensing on the windows = mold. Make sure you get good circulation around them and I think it'll be fine.

The window behind this cute little plant was covered in ice and I think it was more than a few degrees below freezing the day I took this shot:

2932054296_4e638471f8.jpg

Back