What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for seeds of an easy plant for beginner

Indiana Gardener

Got Drosera?
A dear friend in Japan whom I've been in contact with for over 6 yrs is having a birthday next month. She will be 90. She really enjoys gardening and has kept Iris ensata for over 60 yrs and has a planting of them that goes on forever. Her daughter helps her a lot.

Last yr I sent her seeds of a double flowering deep gold angels trumpet. This yr I was thinking I may send some cp seeds. Considering they do have the growing conditions for I. ensata, boggy summers with drier winters, I was thinking a Sarracenia may work? School children sometimes tour the garden and I thought it may make an interesting plant for them to see and learn about.

They are in the Kochi prefecture. So a cp wouldn't have to be too winter hardy. It does get below freezing there at night during the winter, but not too much below that.
http://www.climate-charts.com/Locations/j/JP47893.php

http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/47883.html

I don't have much to trade, but I do have an extra two crown division of jungle val. (aquarium plant) and a rooted cutting thats a few inches tall from a tiger bark ficus. Also the same in ginseng ficus.

Please let me know if you have anything that would work.
Thanks!

About the easiest would be D. capensis. But you'll have to deal with the legalities of CITES / phytosanitary certificate.

I have a couple cap.'s, but if I send a plant then I have to do the phyto and all like you said. Is all of that still necessary for seeds?

Edit: Seeds obtain. Thanks. :)

I believe the same holds true for seeds. But here's a thought: There are hobbyists in Japan. They also have their own discussion forum. Getting in contact with one of them and working out something may be a better approach.

---------- Post added at 09:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 AM ----------

Here is a link to one of our hobbyist from Japan. I think he would be a good place to start:

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/member.php?u=5098

I think seeds can be shipped, if memory serves. I bet they could tell you at the post office. A Sarracenia does sound like a good match for the climate but they take a long time from seed. Does she have access to lights? You might show her this -
http://www.carnivorousplants.org/seedbank/species/Sarracenia.htm
(Or summarize it for her depending on where her English is at; perhaps her daughter could help.) If she used the 24hr light method, she could have plants big enough to appreciate in a few months, and near adults in under two years.
Not sure what kind of Sarr in particular, though. If she likes ornate flowers, leucophylla might be a nice choice. I'm also partial to minor, so far as the decoration goes. S. rubra and subspecies have a nice coloration, and x catesbei (flava x purpurea) has a charming shape. S. purpurea is a nice choice for its adaptability. So far as seed growing goes, it can be fun if your plants shows a lot of variation, so a hybrid might be better in that respect. It sounds like she's in an ideal climate, so I would just pick whatever species you think she would like best; you know her better than us.
Best luck!
~Joe

CITES regulations also apply to seeds as well. However, most drosera are exempt from CITES. Byblis, Cephalotus, Darlingtonia, Nepenthes, and Sarracenia require a CITES permit for export, and I think Dionaea is still also included although I'm not sure if it was taken off the list or not. Most Drosera, Pings, and Utrics are not included under the CITES convention.

So, you should be able to mail the seed of any common sundew as long as it does not conflict with their phytosanitary ordinances or invasive species laws.

Perhaps, an easy to grow but common species like D. spatulata or D. adalae.

-Hermes.

Does she have access to lights?

I don't know, but not likely. They sure have ideal weather there though for just about anything.

You might show her this

I would have to have someone translate it so that I could print it and mail it. My friends there don't speak English or have email. That's really too much to translate.

If she used the 24hr light method, she could have plants big enough to appreciate in a few months, and near adults in under two years.

That would be nice!

Based on the photos of flowers she's sent in the past, she likes bright colors.

CITES regulations also apply to seeds as well. ...... and Sarracenia require a CITES permit for export

That stinks. I suppose that even applies to non-naturally occurring hybrids?

Thanks for the link Jim, but it seems he's no longer active here. His last post was on 02-19-2006 and his website link no longer works.

I thought that it was the ESA trade restrictions that applied to seeds, not CITES. Seems weird that you would need a phytosanitary check for seeds... What are they going to do, check them with an electron microscope?
~Joe

Back