What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NeciFiX

Kung Fu Fighting!
Hello!

About two months ago or so I returned to the wondrous Terraforums to report I would like to grow carnivorous plants again. After extensive research, I set it aside so I wouldn't become obsessed. Now, I'm retaking the mantle since I have money to fund my project.

I bought a cool-mist medium-room very nice tower humidifier [they appear to leak less, and take up less space, both bonuses]. It is cool mist, so, the windows stay frozen in a large ice slab, and the humidity as a result cannot grow mold [in the Spring and Summer I'll have to keep it ventilated and keep a towel in there to absorb the moisture buildup]. The humidity is also nice for me too, since I have a history of chronic sinusitis, and I did not actually get my first sinus infection until, sadly, on my 16th birthday [two days ago].

I am happy to report the humidifier can maintain a steady 70-75% humidity on medium mode [I can ramp it up to high when the filters get a little dirtier and thus put out less humidity]. My room is at a fairly cool temperature, some might even say cold.

After having my step-dad [who has stalled the project for a month now due to growing concerns... since my last humidity operations resulted in black mold and destroyed wallpaper, for reasons that would make this post much longer than necessary... needless to say, I had no idea what I was doing back then lol] check it all out, he said it looked fine, but, to keep an eye on everything. That I shall do.

Which is the go ahead! I need to pick out lights now. I managed to find some T5 lights on my iPod Touch before bed about a month ago and have bookmarked them. Would the $190 ones listed here: http://www.plantlightinghydroponics.com/new-wave-t5-4ft-grow-lights-c-321_330.html be good?

I could probably get away with T8 lights, considering how expensive these are, but, I'm having difficulty finding "good" T8 lights in the right specifications, and, these are of high quality. I will check around though when I get my plant rack for cheaper lights. I'm just wondering if these would work. They're the cheapest T5 I've seen yet, 4 ft with the ballast and the lights included. With the T8's for ballast + lights/4 feet it'd be about $75-$100 even [from what I've seen on the internet?] so that's not too bad. I wouldn't want to equip all four racks on the grow rack with T5's though.

Anyway, that was my main question. Do I need any type of specific grow rack? I'm probably going to go to Lowe's for one. I intend on growing Highland Nepenthes/Heliamphora/Cephalotus... the conditions would be: Bright, cool and humid [70-75%].

Thanks,

NeciFiX

Necifix,
I don't know where in Wisconsin you live, but for example I looked up on Craig'slist for Madison area and found this listing:
http://madison.craigslist.org/for/1564869127.html

I have bought a ton of stuff this way (on Craigslist), and as long as you have people show you the stuff and plug it in to see if it works, and if it looks decent (does it look like it was abused, rusty or stepped on?...common sense sort of things), then you should have good luck and be able to save a good amount of money!
You are looking at the "right" lights to get. The key now is to get them cheap!

In "college towns", a lot of people resell these fixtures, as they bought them to try their hands at growing "herbs", and discovered that they require more attention than expected....so they end up selling off all their growing supplies!
If you have the time to shop, you will eventually find what you are looking for at a price you can afford.
I hope that you live close to where people are selling good stuff, for if you live far from a good area and have no real transportation to drive out to check out the items, you are again limited to buying off the net.

Well, trying to share some money-saving tips. Perhaps if they don't help you, someone else can benefit from them! It is amazing what good equipment you can get, and for a real good price... if you are in the right place at the right time!

Good luck!
Paul

Sorry, its late and I am brain dead!
I submitted my reply twice, as the computer didn't
seem to take it the first time!

Well, I guess anything worth saying is worth saying twice!

Last edited:
I'm actually much closer to Minneapolis [60 miles from Minneapolis, compared to 300 some from Madison, lol] but thank you!

Back