What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What the fusca???!!!

This is a strange looking N. fusca that I received from Jack and Jeanie at Hawaiian Botanicals via Borneo Exotics. (If any of you ever end up in Richmond BC, be sure to drop in at their greenhouse/nursery and say hi. They are very friendly folks and have a great little place there. Unfortunately they only ship within Canada though.)

The pitchers have a flared striped peristome on a needle thin wasp waisted waif of a pitcher body.

Here is an older pitcher.
IMG_2713-1.jpg

The leaves are also strangely truncated and heart-shaped.
IMG_2699-1.jpg

Here is a closer shot of the upper half of the newest pitcher to open. The peristome will darken over the next little while.
IMG_2728-1.jpg

This is still a small plant, so it will be interesting to see what it starts to look like as it matures some more.

dvg

Those features are all common to fusca, I believe, but in this plant they certainly appear... exaggerated. Interesting indeed!
~Joe

Looks like a hybrid.....:suspect:

This is the N. Fusca "Flared" form relesed a little while ago. A nice plant indeed!

I agree, the features are a bit exaggerated but it looks within the description.

Neat. Looks fine to me, though.

Clever title. xD

Very nice dvg, looks like the picture bug has caught you, and with taking pics of your babies, oh boy, it's going to be a good growing season! :D

Very nice dvg , cant wait to see it at the end June, July.
It already looks like one of your well kept nep's. nice score!

Yes, that's N. fusca "flared peristome." I have one myself, it's a great plant.

Are they HL, and are they easy to grow? I might get one of those....:drool:

Are they HL, and are they easy to grow? I might get one of those....:drool:

Not sure what the proper classification is, but I'd call it highland/intermediate. It's very tolerable and easy to grow.

This is one that has always done really well for me no matter what.

Not sure what the proper classification is, but I'd call it highland/intermediate. It's very tolerable and easy to grow.

This is one that has always done really well for me no matter what.

Do you thik it would do well on a windowsill? The more I look at that plant, the more I want one!

Do you thik it would do well on a windowsill? The more I look at that plant, the more I want one!

I think so. Mine grows under lights, but in relatively low humidity (usually 35%-45%).

Thanks guys!

Yes you are right, this is the Borneo Exotics N. fusca 'Flared Peristome' BE-3068.

BE has it listed as an intermediate, and that is how I grow mine as well.

It is grown in my basement under lights, and the only cooling it gets is when the lights go off at night.

It is very forgiving of low humidity conditions and I just have to remember to water it once in a while.

Truly a great little plant and definitely one of my faves!

dvg

Those are the type of fusca that I'm talking about!

I had one on a windowsill for a year or so and it hardly grew at all. It did pitcher, albeit it very small ones so I guess that it's not too demanding on humidity. The same windowsill grew a monster of a ventrata. I've just moved the fusca to under my MH lights to see how it does.

I've been growing mine for a few years. It doesn't grow too fast, and it seems to be a bit fussier than, say, ventrata or maxima. Mine does most of its pitchering during the summer when the humidity is higher.

Mine does most of its pitchering during the summer when the humidity is higher.

Yeah, now that spring is coming and the humidity is up it looks like my fusca will start pitchering again.

Back