What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turface anyone?

Looking for thoughts/opinions on calcined clay sold under the brand name Turface. I noticed it being sold on some orchid sites and Ebay, and read how some are using it as part of a their media for Neps and Helis. I was able to find a local distributor and picked up two 55lb bags this weekend for what I thought was quite cheap. Interested in hearing if anyone has tried it. Also, I was considering using it as a top dressing for my Sarr mini bogs.

Thanks in advance for comments.

dont have much to comment on. but i no turface is what the MLB uses. so its basically baseball clay =) fun fact.

I use it, RL7638 uses it... im sure there are others

good stuff!
Av

I use it, RL7638 uses it... im sure there are others
Yup - good stuff.
Also, I was considering using it as a top dressing for my Sarr mini bogs.
What are you looking for in a top dressing? Turface = APS (probably) & is filled w/ tiny pores - it makes a good moss-growing media...

Yup - good stuff.
What are you looking for in a top dressing? Turface = APS (probably) & is filled w/ tiny pores - it makes a good moss-growing media...

I'm considering using it as a topdressing to assist w/ water retention during the summer months in my mini bogs. Perhaps it's not needed, but I'm thinking something lighter will reflect more light and lessen the amount of moisture lost to evaporation.

Also, would this be a suitable alternative to perlite? Considering using this w/ young Helis in 1:1 live sphag and Turface.

Back